BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volunteer to Handout/Collect Survey & Make Ridership Cou

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FamousNYLover

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Volunteer to Handout/Collect Survey & Make Ridership Cou Reply with quote

I got email from friend who need to do research on several Queens bus routes and need volunteer to handout and collect surveys and make ridership count without boarding bus on following Queens bus routes.
(Q12), (Q13), (Q16), (Q28), QM7, QM8, QM10, QM11, QM12.
For transit buff who are interested to volunteer can take picture during the volunteer.

Volunteers are needed for following days.
Tuesday 2/22, Wednesday 2/23, and Thursday 2/24

Time are not decided yet. If I found out more, I will post here.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were one to cajole the operating Public Transit Agency, they might volunteer the rider numbers.
It would help to explain bona fides of why one needs to know. It is all published and known public
data. The trouble is, it is no easy thing to recover it from 'Net documents resident on the computer
servers. It is public information, and not classified proprietary data...

....................Vern.................
FamousNYLover

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

From my Original Email:
I have another opportunity for you. My work requires me to do research on several bus routes in Queens including Q12, Q13, Q16, Q28, QM7, QM8, QM10, QM11, QM12. I will need people to hand out and collect surveys and make ridership counts without boarding the bus. The days where I will need volunteers are Tuesday 2/22, Wednesday 2/23, and Thursday 2/24. The times have not been decided yet and do not mention that this work is related to QM22 in any way shape or form, do not even mention the QM22. This work is related to political work in Queens for transportation policy and is an independent service evaluation. Please post notice of this on transit forums so there could be other people to volunteer. A little bit of busfanning and taking some pics of buses is okay while doing this work so let the busfans know that this is not just work and this will involve a little bit of fun.

Truly yours,

Bounad

From my email:
Update: Survey will be done on QM7 and QM8 Only
Ridership counts will be done at certain points of the line at the bus stop because we cannot board the bus because there might be a problem. Surveys will only be done on the QM7 and QM8 and might be given out on the street at the bus stop or you will ride the bus with Bus Operators that I know. You would ride the bus and people will give them back to you as they leave the bus.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyHaulier wrote:
Were one to cajole the operating Public Transit Agency, they might volunteer the rider numbers.
It would help to explain bona fides of why one needs to know. It is all published and known public
data. The trouble is, it is no easy thing to recover it from 'Net documents resident on the computer
servers. It is public information, and not classified proprietary data...

....................Vern.................

2009 subway and bus ridership by station/route
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 -

Thanks. Our Inquiring Colleague might want to use it. I'm getting too old for a front line slot in the
Photography - and related - Wars. I am not so sure if surreptitious rider studies would go down
well these days, amongst our finest in law enforcement. Better to rely on public data, and generate
one's own reasonable inferences?

The "Gee, Whiz!" new fareboxes are wired to generate all this data. I can think of Transit Agencies
caring less about the capabilities...

.....................Vern.....................
FamousNYLover

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: From my email

Yuki,

Did you get anyone interested. I will clarify the following for you

Ridership counts will be done on Q12, Q13, Q16, Q28 at certain points of the line such as Downtown Flushing. I do not need an on off count such as what the traffic checkers do.

We will not be doing any ridership counts or surveys on the QM11 or QM12 anymore as it is not needed.

We will only do surverys on certain trips on the QM7 and QM8 and the goal of the survey is to find out how much of the QM7 and QM8 ridership is local and how many drive to take the bus. The way that this has been thought is to hand out surveys on the Super Express trips in the afternoon and have you ride the Super Express and have the riders give them back to you as they leave the bus.

There will be a reward for helping out.
Many thanks,

Bounad
FamousNYLover

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Update: CANCELLED Reply with quote

See title.
FamousNYLover

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Update: CANCELLED Reply with quote

See title.
FamousNYLover

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Update: Not Cancelled Reply with quote

Yuki,

Only you will be volunteering on Tuesday morning and we will meet in Whitestone, Queens at 6:30 AM. I need other volunteers for Wednesday and Thursday in Manhattan and they will be at the 5th Avenue and West 35th Street Express bus stop where the BxM6, BxM7, BxM7A, BxM9, BxM10 drop off and BxM18 pick up transferring customers and volunteers would have to meet up there at 6:30 AM. There is also a time in the afternoon at 4:00 PM at the Madison Avenue and West 35th Street bus stop.
Again, as a part of my community organizing work I wanted to examine the feasibility of a BxM7 and BxM9 Super Express which would help to reduce the costs of operating the BxM7 and BxM9 while maintaining the same amount of trips per hour since there is a lot of delays on the Bruckner Expressway and 5th Avenue which results in a lot of overtime being paid. Towards Manhattan, the BxM7 and BxM9 Super Express would make the same stops in the Bronx, then operate via the Whitestone Bridge, into Whitestone Expressway, then via E/B Grand Central Parkway just like how the QM2 and QM2A do, then via W/B Long Island Expressway, into Queens Midtown Tunnel, then via either 34th Street to 8th Avenue. Towards Bronx, the BxM7 and BxM9 Super Express would operate via either 34th Street or 42nd Street into Queens Midtown Tunnel, then via Long Island Expressway, Brooklyn Queens Expressway to either Astoria Boulevard or Grand Central Parkway similar to what the QM2 and QM2A Super Express trips do, then operate via the Whitestone Expressway into the Whitestone Bridge, then make all stops in Bronx. Therefore I need bus stop activity counts. Feel free to post the need for volunteers on Wednesday and Thursday in Manhattan on the transit forums.

Many thanks,

Bounad
FamousNYLover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Volunteers Doing This Survey will received old bus schedules as REWARD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: