BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toy "SCENICRUISERS" of the 50's and 60's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Exchange Place & Collector's Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Toy "SCENICRUISERS" of the 50's and 60's Reply with quote

From the late 1950's through the mid-60's, a tremendous amount of toy Scenicruisers (made of tin, and manufactured in Japan) were exported for sale here in the U.S. Some were as small as 2 1/2", while others measured close to 2' feet in length.

While many were pretty much accurate in thier representing the SCENICRUISER, a number were indeed either loosely based on the timeless design, Many, in fact, some had only two axles, recalling the Flxible Vistaliner.

One in my collection resembles a "stretched" 4104, with the upper level area amidships, along with a rooftop luggage rack!

One of the larger ones (again, this one features two axles) has a revolving destination sign, allowing you to display different cities.

Another, while more realistic, was marketed as the "Magic Scenicruiser"

One side of the upper level features a row of smaller, canted windows, while the other (driver's) side has the prototypical type. The door is located just behind the first-level passenger window.

When you move a small lever in the roof one way, the door opens, to reveal a uniformed hostess (Hey! This ain't TRAILWAYS, guys!) and, the lithographed passengers on that side vanish from the windows.

When the lever is pushed the other way, the door closes, and the passengers re-appear!

This wonderful old toy dates to the early 60's.

Another one in my collection (one of the more realistic ones) is a "SUPER SCENICRUISER", clearly dating to post-1960.

The most unusual "Scenicruiser" in my collection, however, is one that is done up as a "NAVY TRANSPORT OFFICE".

This two-tone blue coach (two axle) is carrying various Navy personell, and, like its "civilian" cousin (which I also own), it has "EXPRESS" on the destination sign.

While one of my buses has "NEW YORK" displayed on the "rollers", most of the others display "EXPRESS", "RESERVED", or "SPECIAL".

When these toys were still being made, when yours truly was certainly enjoying playing with them, the cheapest sold for about 29 cents in your local "five and ten", while the larger, more detailed, could run you about $2.00

Some of the more expensive ones were battery operated, and some of these even featured honking horns!

And these are just the SCENICRUISERS!

Countless toy GREYHOUNDS, of many styles and types were manufactured back in those long-ago days!

I sure do treasure the ones I own today!

John
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This short youtube clip shows you the same tin "SUPER SCENICRUISER" which I have in my collection; though the 1920's Victrola record played on the soundtrack is enjoyable and nostalgic, it simply does fit the bus!

A classic Frank Sinatra tune would have been nice...... Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EmMAxdOOtA
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This toy SCENICRUISER is typical of those exported from Japan in the late 50's and early 60's.

I have this one in my collection.....this is one of the more realistic ones!

http://www.toybusexpo.com/tin-bus/79_0_12_0_C/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several toy "SCENICRUISERS" were offered sporting rooftop luggage racks; one look at this particular toy and you'll marvel at the ingenuity of those imaginative Japanese toy manufacturers of long ago!

Was this an obscure Lowey design that never got passed the drawing board? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Another "SCENICRUISER" I have with a rooftop luggage rack clearly reminds me of a stretched, tri-axle 4104!! Shocked Very Happy

Also, note the red uniformed hostess besides the driver....HEY! THIS AIN'T TRAILWAYS!!<G>

http://www.toybusexpo.com/tin-bus/80_0_12_0_C/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly the first battery-operated SCENICRUISER is this rare toy (this was also offered as a friction bus, in a different GREYHOUND scheme); I have both in my collection today.

This early battery-op bus pre-dated the familiar, battery-op "bump-'n-go" toy vehicles by a few years.

This is also one of those toy SCENICRUISERS manufactured as a two-axle bus

http://www.toybusexpo.com/tin-bus/2_0_12_0_C/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Exchange Place & Collector's Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: