BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'THE SHADOW'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: 'THE SHADOW' Reply with quote

This is a special presentation because I personally had a hand in making the scene possible that you are about to see below;

The film is the 1994 release by Universal Studios of 'The Shadow' starring Alec Baldwin as Lamont Cranston (it was my favorite radio show when I was a kid!).

Before I go further, I must explain that back in the 80's and 90's I was a broker of vintage buses to the motion picture and television industry and worked on a number of projects including 'JFK', 'A League of Their Own'. 'The Mambo Kings', 'Bugsy', 'Billy Bathgate' and 'Sinatra' to name just a few.

The top image below (taken on a Universal backlot) is as phony as a three dollar bill because only the bus (a GM TDH 4801 ex Los Angeles), the taxi (a 1936 Cord Model 810 Westchester) and the black Ford coupe are real - the painted backdrop behind them is supposed to be Broadway in Manhattan.

The second shot below is a close-up of the Cord cab - let me tell you that they had that car going around the set on two wheels.

The third photo is of the studio art department rendering of the destination sign that was used and that has been collecting dust in my workshop all these years.

There was a 'glitch' in delivering the bus to the set!; I had promised the transportation coordinator that the bus would be in place for shooting at 7:00 AM on the appointed morning but my driver didn't show up on time and I had to move it from the holding lot myself.

What they say about never forgetting how to ride a bike is true because I felt like I was right at home behind the wheel even though it was 33 years since I had driven for Green Line (NY).

She started right up and, after the air reached 65 pounds, off I went but miscalculated one tight turn and damaged the rear door on the way - no problem because the studio carpenters did a great fix and I got the bus in place right on time.

I think my miscalculation was the result of not compensating for the 102" width of the 4801.

The Shadow was no Academy Award nominee but it was a lot of fun making.

First photo courtesy of IMCDb.
Second photo courtesy of the Cord/Auburn Car Club.
Third photo courtesy of this writer.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Buses in Pop Culture All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: