BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just passin thru...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timecruncher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Just passin thru... Reply with quote

So the local Gillig sales rep had this 2010 Gillig transit with the dress-up kit enroute to Central Florida Transit Authority (better known as LYNX, the Orlando system), and it is equipped with the latest and greatest in pollution control gadgetry from Cummins. He had the convoy driver bring it by several Gillig customers enroute to its final delivery.

Transit is obliged to be on the cutting edge of technology that neither reduces pollution or saves money. All it does is spend precious tax dollars and make politicians feel good about themselves.

Nice coach, I would assume that LYNX once again was getting buses in two or three pastel colors, but I find it odd that it has lots of goodies, the costly dress-up kit, a custom paint job and yet steel wheels rather than aluminum. The plastic wrap is to help prevent damage from road hazards and large insects that the driver is unable to dodge, I suppose.

Who'd a thunk?

Anyway, a couple of people have asked me if TARC had a BRT bus on the property. No, we don't. You might have seen this critter here for a few hours or perhaps at the hotel where the convoy guy parked it overnight.

It is now, I assume, hauling folks out to see Mickey Mouse and friends!

Oh, and yes, the bike rack does impair operator vision from the driver's seat. You'd think they might have taken a longer look at that type of rack before installing on a low-windshield bus. Oh well.

timecruncher
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the bus is much sleeker and futuristic than the boxy Gilligs, we have here in Huntington, NY
massbusmark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCTA (Burlington VT) has several Gillig BRT suburbans for their LINK Express routes. A notice on their website informs passengers that bicycles will not be allowed in bike racks on LINK Express buses during hours of darkness at morning and night till further notice due to the headlights being partially hidden by bicycles in the bike rack. Here's a link to the press release on CCTA's website:

http://www.cctaride.org/pdf/press-releases/CCTA%20Safety%20Alert%20Bikes%20Headlights%20LINK%20buses.pdf

I would guess LYNX, and any other agency using Gillig BRT's may run into the same issue that CCTA has with night bike rack use.

Mark
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, these are prettier than the standard Gillig, and lots prettier than the standard New Flyer.

But its just skin deep! Gillig builds a solid bus, they have excellent parts support and their warranty coverage is superior to any other North American bus manufacturer.

But their buses eat front tires and they refuse to build an artic. They have their niche in the industry, and their products are everywhere it seems.

But as an administrator and a former driver, it makes no sense at all to spend an extra $35k per bus to make it look pretty.

Just sayin'...

timecruncher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: