BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long island bus route picks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ST9909

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Long island bus route picks Reply with quote

Does anybody know by chance how Long Island bus does their route picks?....the ones at ST are interesting....but you do the same route ....for example if i am assigned to the S71 (which im not)....i only do the 71.....but for long island bus however....if you pick the N80 for example....you not only do the 80, but you also work the 80,81,73, and 20 shuttle....or the 80,81 73.....and so forth....does anyone know how these picks work?
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have no clue on either county, but Suffolk Transit contracts their routes to private operators, while LI Bus is one company. I would assume that Nassau picks are subject to a union contract. Suffolk picks are probably in the domain of each company and its union, with the county having no influence.
scatman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: route picks Reply with quote

LIB for the most part USED to be drivers work the route they picked most of the day with maybe a miscellaneous trip on something else mixed in along the way. if a driver picked the n25 on sunday he would do all n25 trips and the schedule was designed for a gap in service for the driver to have 30 minute meal. THE NEW LIB under MTA control does not care about the drivers nor should they for what they make, the runs are set up to keep them moving, reduce layover waste, and eliminate gaps in service thus evening headways everywhere. the n25 on weekends now has even 1 hour service intervals with no meal break service gaps b/c it is linked with the n58 which is an rvc route on weekends. the 25s leave lynbrook at :06 after every hour and get to GNRR just before the next hour where they will sit for only a few minutes and do a trip to merchant marine academy leaving great neck on the hour. then they will sit only a few minutes at the academy and go back to GNRR where they will immediately turn back to a 25 and head back to lynbrook where they get half hour meal. look at the schedule. many of the lines are now linked together. There is no more 20 shuttle so i dont know what u meant by that but the 80/81 and 73/74 are all linked together. the 23 and 78/79 are linked in mineola. the 62 and the 36 in freeport are linked with something (probably the 4) the, 49 on sunday is linked with something as is the 27 b/c if u look at the schedule, drivers would get like 45 minutes in hempstead after each trip and that is NOT happening under the new regime. ALSO, after the opening of RVC on weekends, many routes are now split up. The n58 is RVC on weekends and MF weekdays and the crosstown lines are concurrently split, meaning the 35,15,16 are operated by BOTH garages a the same time. 35s that start in Westbury come from MF and those that start in Baldwin come from RVC. same for 15 and 16, those starting at RF are from MF and those starting in RVC or LONG BEACH are RVC. Hempstead starts can go either garage. the 31,32 i believe is all RVC. THE 19 is split, it is more MF but RVC covers some trips there too. THe 33 is linked with the 32 and 15. the 4 may even have some mf buses going to jamaica on sat/sun. ALL THIS SAVINGS IS ALLOWING FOR THE IMPROVED SERVICE SYSTEM WIDE
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my wife and I were in Rhode Island last year for a long weekend, including visiting with the "Ripta 142" family, I noticed that those buses constantly move. When they get to a certain stop, a relief driver takes over.

Presumably, the original driver picks up that bus on the R/T and the relief driver goes to get a bus.
ST9909

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i remember i know one route that the 23 did where they start on saturdays at 429 outta mineola, do 4 trips to mineola then go to hempstead and run the 6 for 4 trips (with some little break in between)

and how do you know about all the linkage there's no info on that that i can find
scatman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 ways
1) look at the schedules, on the n36 on sat 4 example the driver would have like a 55 min layover after every trip.

2) watch them at terminals

3) talk to the drivers
ST9909

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so someone take a look at this please i was just meandering around out of boredom....how does this sound as an example and can someone please clarify

a 23 driver that starts out of mineola intermodal at

5 runs til 549 manorhaven

6 out of manorhaven to mineola 651

Turns into the 41 that leaves mineola 654 runs til 729

leaves as 41 out of freeport 729 arrives mineola 806

leaves mineola as a 40 at 806 arrives freeport 841

leaves freeport 847 arrives mineola 922

leave mineola as a 23 at 929 arrive manorhaven 1020
leave manorhaven 1025 arrive mineola 1116....lunch til 1129

leave mineola as a 23 1129 arrive manorhaven 1220
leave manorhaven 1225 arrive mineola 116

(if 8 hour shift go home)

this is just preliminary but i'm wondering if this is what happens and if someone can look it over
ST9909

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also spoke to one driver if i remember correctly on a saturday and he said that he did 4 trips on the 23 and 4 trips on the 6 and started at 429 with a break in between his last two trips to jamaica and back....and got back to the yard around 1230 am

here's what i came up with

429 mineola to manorhaven
525 manorhaven to mineola
629 mineola to manorhaven
725 manorhaven to mineola
818 arrive mineola intermodal

go to hempstead terminal

830 hempstead to jamaica on the 6
920 jamaica to hempstead

half hour break til 1030

1030 Hempstead to jamaica
1105 Jamaica to hempstead arrive 1150 and head back to the yard

any input would be helpful
scatman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys have it completely correct, the runs are mixed but the 23 run and the 6 run u r talkin about is LONG LONG gone. the 23 is linked with the 78 and 79 now, there may be some linked with the 40/41, im not sure but most are with the 78/79. No 23's are with the 6 anymorre. The 45 and 51 are now completely together.
ST9909

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you scatman, but do you know off the top of your head any other routes that are definitely linked? it would be much appreciated....and i heard rockville depot will be closing!
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST9909 wrote:
thank you scatman, but do you know off the top of your head any other routes that are definitely linked? it would be much appreciated....and i heard rockville depot will be closing!

Wow Rockville Center Depot will possiblie be closing, i wonder why they didn't think of doing that earlier since that depot is only used during the week, from what i heard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
scatman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: ROCKVILLE CENTER GARAGE Reply with quote

I dont know who is feeding you all this DISINFORMATION. The only way RVC is going to close is if Ed Mangano and Nassau are successful in parting ways with the MTA and the private company chooses to close. But so far Nassau is losing since the state judge ordered nassau to pay the money to the Mta based on contracts dating back to the Gulotta years. As for RVC now, RVC is a 24/7 garage and has been since the Jan 24, 2010 pick took effect nearly a year ago
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: ROCKVILLE CENTER GARAGE Reply with quote

scatman wrote:
I dont know who is feeding you all this DISINFORMATION. The only way RVC is going to close is if Ed Mangano and Nassau are successful in parting ways with the MTA and the private company chooses to close. But so far Nassau is losing since the state judge ordered nassau to pay the money to the Mta based on contracts dating back to the Gulotta years. As for RVC now, RVC is a 24/7 garage and has been since the Jan 24, 2010 pick took effect nearly a year ago

My source on RVC (not the closing) isn't really reliable, though if it took effect last year then my info on that depot was never updated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
scatman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: RVC Reply with quote

i rode today, Sunday 1/9/11, 1674 from Far Rock to Hempstead on n32 and then 1713 to Roosevelt Field where I am right now writing this message. Both are RVC buses, 1674 is old 437 i believe.

Heres the latest with LIB if u dont get here much---

RVC is 24/7 for almost a year
Mitchel has about 10 or so brand new 1800 series orion 7s. I have seen 1800, 02, 03, 07, 08 on the road and have ridden on 02, and 03. Today, 1800 and 1803 are both on the 6 and 1807 was leaving the mall on 22 when i was coming in. U can see pics of them on subchat.org or maybe there are some on here now. The insides are configured just llike the city hybrids with the only two differences being that both sides have two-seater seats instead of the single seat on one side for more standing room in the city and when u ring the bell, the female voice does not say "Please exit thru the rear door" everything else is identical to city hybrids including run ID boxes in right windshield, the closing door to the operator seat instead of the safetybar and all the interior no-smoking-no littering, etc. decals
scatman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: LIB news Reply with quote

also, RVC now has 1730-1733 since mitchel has the 1800's. I HAVE actually ridden on 1731, 32 and, 33 in the last few days on RVC lines so this is fact. 1730, however, I have not seen all week in service at RVC, I am assuming that it is now an RVC bus bc I wouldnt imagine them skipping 1730 and handing over 31,32, and 33 to RVC. It is possible that the bus is Out of service which would allow it to remain at MF if it is being service there. So the RVC roster is now 1700-1733 assuming that 1730 has been shipped there as well. There are routes that are split between the garages at the same time. The 16,19, and 35 will have buses from BOTH garages at the same time. some 36 trips are also from MF bc I was in FREEport station last week talking to a driver who was waiting there in uniform about to ride, off duty(which he will get paid for the first time riding). When a driver has never worked a line before, he may ride with another driver on his own time to learn the route and the inservice driver will sign off on verifying he rode and he will get a certain pay for learning the route on his own. He told me he is from MF and he is waiting for a 19 to come from Babylon and turn to a 36 and he never did the 36 so some of the early am weekday n19s are linked with the 36 and come from MF. The 36 is linked with the 19, 4, AND the 25. On friday i rode 1679 from Great neck to lynbrook on 25 and when we got to lynbrook, i got back on with the same guy and went to freeport as a 36
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: