BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attn Mr. L

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UTC Bus Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Attn Mr. L Reply with quote

Mr. L,

I have a friend on a truck board I belong to who is trying to find out some info that you may be able to help him with.

Here is his quote:

"I'm trying to find where the history records are housed for the NYC bridge and tunnel authority that existed prior to the 1930's. I believe they were replaced by the current Metropolitan Transportation Authority in the early 30's. More specifically I'm trying to find out what happened to a truck, a 1916 CT Electric, that was used as a fire truck in the Holland Tunnel in the teens and twenties. It had heavy winches on each end and a dry chemical setup for fires."

Let us know if you can help him out in any way. He actually owns the above truck.

Bill
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

This is about the best I can do;

New York City has nothing to do with the operation then or now of the Holland Tunnel - it is and has been under the control and ownership of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

From its opening in 1927 until assumption by the P.A. in 1930, the bi state commission that built it was in charge.

I would say that the best place to look for information concerning the described truck would be in the archives of the Port Authority which has its offices on Park Avenue South in Manhattan and can be reached at 212 435 7000.

Here's a shot of the Holland Tunnel on opening day in 1927.

Photo courtesy of Wonders of the World

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

UTC Bus Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr L,

I'll relay the info to him.

Bill
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the words of our patron saint, St. Ralph of Kramden, let me put my BIGGG MOUTHHH into the mix.

My dear friend Mr. L, is correct that the Holland Tunnel has been under the control of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

The tolled bridges of New York City were under the control of an entity that was probably named the NYC Bridge and Tunnel Authority.

When the New York State Metropolitan Transportation Authority was created in the late 1960's, the bridges were taken over by a subsidiary authority called "The Triboro Bridge and Tunnel Authority" Known as the TBTA.

Hope this helps a little

Hart Bus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: