BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2010 NY Transit Modelers Meet at Rutgers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hobbyist Trips, Events, Outings, & Meetings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: 2010 NY Transit Modelers Meet at Rutgers Reply with quote

Just announced that the show will be Sat. Oct. 23, 2010 as per link

http://www.nycmodeltransit.org/2010details.htm
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder-- IT'S ONLY DAYS AWAY!!
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any9 Long Islanders planning on taking the LIRR to Penn and then NJ Transit to New Brunswick-------The LIRR is commencing their Jamaica Cutover,wherein they are computerizing the switching system in Jamaica.

There is a special schedule that explains the whole f***ed up timetable. In prior years I would drive to Huntington to get on an 8:33 train, getting into NYP at 9:39. Then getting on an NJT train at 10:14 getting in to New Brunswick at 11:09 and getting to the show by foot around 11:20. Door to door about 3 hours.

On 10/23 I would be driving to Huntington for an 8:22 AM train. Have to get off in Mineola and take a shuttle bus to Jamica with an ETA of 9:34 AM. Then I have to go downstairs and take an "E" train to Penn. The schedule says its a 50 minute train ride. That would get me to Penn at 10:24 and then get a 11:09 NJT train, making the door to door about 4 hours. That assumes that there is frequent enough subway service on the E. An E-mail (no pun intended) to the line supervisor about increased service has not been answered.

Driving 85 miles to the show seems like drudgery since there are at least
12 roads to go on. I'll go up to Shoreline to help out since many members will be at the show. For me its 100 miles but only 5 roads.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did any member of the board attend the Rutgers Event? If so could a short report be posted.

As I had said, I went up to the Shoreline Trolley Museum to help out with the operations on their Pumpkin Patch special event. The event consists of a regular R/T ride on a trolley (no barn tour) but the children go into a barn where they color a pumpkin as well as a paper with a pumpkin on it and then have some cider. apples and go home. This year someone donated a toybox in the shape of Thomas the Tank Engine, that one can sit on. It was set up so the pictures could be taken.

My day was spent changing trolley poles and being a switch tender when needed. Between a charter of 2 cars and 2 birthday party charters, six service cars were in operation at one time. That sure kept the dispatcher busy. Around 2:30 we got word that our parking lot was full ! That meant a lot of $$$$ coming in.

I left around 5:00 as the conversion to the Haunted Isle event for adults was happening.

Based on a call I made this morning to the museum it sounds like this could be a record breaking weekend.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On hand was 2 Old Looks, 1 New Look, 1 Flx Metro and 1 MCI MC9(?). The show was nice but seemed to be a bit on the "lite side" as far as busy goes-- TO ME ANYWAY-- I could be wrong.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I doubt that the Jamaica Cutover of the LIRR kept many people besides me away, I wonder if the $20 admission price plus either trainfare or cost of gas, oil and tolls kept some people away.

I seem to feel that a lot of the same vendors are there with the "same old, same old" so that it is not that pressing to go.

In my own case, besides the LIRR, I went with the MNYBA to the Bus Festival at the Museum of Bus Transportation in Hershey. There was at least one vendor there from the Rutger's shows, so I had my opportunity this year.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
In my own case, besides the LIRR, I went with the MNYBA to the Bus Festival at the Museum of Bus Transportation in Hershey. There was at least one vendor there from the Rutger's shows, so I had my opportunity this year.

Thought you went to Shoreline the day of the show? Or was MOBT a differt day/date and I missed something?
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Rebel:

Glad to see that my friend Al(zeimer) hasn't visited you yet. Yes I went to Shoreline because the MOBT event was back in June.

Alan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hobbyist Trips, Events, Outings, & Meetings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: