BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[DC] Half and O S.W. on roller sign

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: [DC] Half and O S.W. on roller sign Reply with quote

Today's New York Times begins its description of the Labor Day game between the Nationals and the Mets with a remark about the vendors on Half Street, leading to Nationals' Stadium. In the 1950's, as I recall, D.C. Transit attempted some precise destinations on their roller signs. ARCHIVES or LAFAYETTE SQUARE were on the front of buses beginning at the less-precise AVONDALE (Michigan & Eastern, N.E.). The destination that I considered a laugh was HALF & O, S.W.
----
Is my memory wrong? It was not on a former streetcar route, but rather the Letter + even digit sequence of older bus routes. The buses were Whites.
----
Maybe it was Half & O, S.E., but that now seems to be the pitcher's mound.
The Mets lost.
Joe McMahon
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe -

The signs used in Washington, in many instances, traced to practices of ages back CAPITAL TRACTION
and WASHINGTON RAILWAY & ELECTRIC...

I believe I recall the "HALF & O SW" (?) display. Thru the day here, should I get a chance, I may have a
CAPITAL TRANSIT system map. Date post the 10 & 12 Lines - Benning Road conversion, but just before
sale to O. Roy Chalk, and his D C T S. The Map might explain the point you have noted...

(Added 1215 HR) Indeed, the terminus marked as HALF & O, SW on coaches of the fairly short V2
route, operating between the point and ARCHIVES at a site fronting Pennsylvania Ave., NW, and 7th and
9th on each side. Per Capital Transit Guide Map, March 1, 1955. Base fare at the time, twenty (20) cents.

A historic map might show this was a streetcar service, years back. There had been some conversions or
discontinuances in the Depression Era.

.........................Vern....................
bystander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O Street is an East-West street laid out alpabeticly from the National Mall.
The numbered streets run North-South from South Capitol Street.
There is a 1/2 Street halfway between S. Capital Street and First Street Southwest.
At the time, this was a bus storage lot. I have A couple of pictures of Whites that I took there.If someone would be kind enough to tell me how to doi it, I would send them in for all to see.

Time has eroded the memories, but there may have been a small maintainence garage there, too.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bystander -

IIRC, saw that HALF & O, SW yard in use, many years back...

The fairly short V2 route somehow implies it was a direct replacement of an earlier FOURTH ST, SW rail line.
I don't have the DC History volumes (premier example, King) to back it up. Wish we had a "Heritage" DC Rail
Map up on the 'net...

...................Vern...................
bystander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hwyhauler:

I see what's going on here.
Route V2 is indeed the remains of the Fourth Street Car Line.
The Car Line came down the back of the Wharves Carhouse. It looks like when they changed to bus, they ran over to Half and O, although my one map shows S Capitol and O.

Here's an idea. If you are a Capital Transit buff,and you live in Maryland, maybe we could meet somewhere like the picnic area on the south side of Connewingo Dam and I would be happy to show you my collection.

I have King's 100 Years book, and Kohlers book Cars Of. I have a half dozen transit maps and the Motor Bus Society's CTCO issue and DCT issue. And a bunch of other stuff including a couple hundred pictures I took.

And this goes for anyone else that loves Capital Transit.Contact me and I will Cheerfully Share.

As Vane Jones (Traction Heritage Magazine) used to say, "Knowledge is of no value until it is shared."

George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: