BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Northport Bus Company

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Northport Bus Company Reply with quote

When I first moved out to Greenlawn, there was a small bus company with the above name (or something similar). I wasn't into buses at that time, but rather into my two (then) young children and building a career.

I remember that they ran fishbowls, probably three of them. One route ran from at least the Northport Train Station south to Pulaski Road. Then turned west on Pulaski. Not sure if it turned up Broadway and looped into the Greenlawn Station. It went further west on Pulaski. Not sure if it went up Fairground Avenue and looped in the south LIRR parking lot or not. I seem to remember that it went further west on Pulaski, terminating at the Cold Spring Harbor RR station.

I do remember that when Huntington Gov't created my namesake, HART, they took the three fishbowls and then they were numbered 101,102,103. This fleet was supplimented with 11 Flx New Look 30 footers 201-211.

Any info on this company will be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

While I can't substantiate this, I would have to say that it is probable that the Northport Bus Company was the successor to the Northport Traction Company that ran a two mile line from the railroad station into downtown Northport beginning in 1902 and ending in 1924.

My wife and I had done much antiquing and lunching in Northport in recent years and the single trolley track was still there as can be seen in the upper frame below.

Lower frame almost the same scene in 1909.

Photos borrowed for educational purposes only.

Regards,

WCA

The Northport Traction Company operated from the Northport East Railroad Station into downtown Northport Village.
Name From To Route Notes
Northport Traction Company Northport East Station Northport Village Larkfield Avenue, Laurel Avenue, Main Street, Woodbine(Cherry) Avenue by Northport Harbor. abandoned 1924
now includes some of the HART H4 bus route.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: