BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CT Transit Fuel Cell Bus #1001

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: CT Transit Fuel Cell Bus #1001 Reply with quote

One of CT Transit's new fuel cell buses was exhibited at Hartford's Bushnell Park as part of the Discover Hartford Bike and Walk Tour on Saturday.

DSC00331

DSC00332

DSC00342

More pictures can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/billonthehill2001/sets/72157624813898421/
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As info, UTC Power is based just north of Hartford. I'm guessing these buses also have Carrier air-conditioning units (another UTC affiliate).
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if more of these buses are ordered, they keep the sharp silver livery. The solid dark blue one is a drag. Just my $ 05 (inflation, you know)
thehartfordboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the TwinVision runbox?
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the fueling station is free with the purchase of the bus. What--it isn't?

Another Van Hool. Is FTA selectively applying the "buy American" regulations here and there only when the politicians are not using something expensive like a fuel cell vehicle (about $1 million a copy last time I looked) to blow smoke up our #@* about being 'green' and 'environmentally friendly,' etc.

VTA out in San Jose had three fuel-cell equipped Gillig low floors in their fleet when the Motor Bus Society visited back in 2005. VTA, of late cutting service and raising fares, had to build a very costly fueling station for these critters along with providing some serious 24-hour security for said fueling station.

It made good press for local politicians, I'm sure, but back in 2005 these buses cost a bit over a million apiece. Concern for the environment does not trump this kind of ridiculous expense just to show that something will work if you throw enough dollars at it.

Now the coach quietly sitting behind the first fuel cell bus, ahh now that's an example of when we still knew how to build a bus that carried people where they needed to go. Topic for another thread, another day.

timecruncher
Bill D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
As info, UTC Power is based just north of Hartford. I'm guessing these buses also have Carrier air-conditioning units (another UTC affiliate).

Back in 1997, I had the opportunity to visit UTC Power (then named International Fuel Cell). At that time the company was developing the fuel cell unit for the Georgetown University bus, and had the fuel cell installed in the framework of the rear module of an RTS. We were asked to bring an RTS to the company, so that they could get an idea of how the fuel cell would fit into the bus. That unit was at least twice as large as the fuel cells currently in production, so the development has advanced significantly since then.

Hart Bus wrote:
Perhaps if more of these buses are ordered, they keep the sharp silver livery. The solid dark blue one is a drag. Just my $ 05 (inflation, you know)

One can only hope. I feel the same way about the dark blue paint scheme. The white with yellow, blue and green stripes was much more attractive, and sadly will pretty much disappear when the current new bus order is complete. The silver is also a big improvement, but for the time being most likely will be only used on the fuel cell buses.

thehartfordboy wrote:
Where's the TwinVision runbox?

I'm not sure why the runbox was not included. I did find it interesting that the rear has a full destination sign instead of just a route number display.

timecruncher wrote:
I'm sure the fueling station is free with the purchase of the bus. What--it isn't?

It made good press for local politicians, I'm sure, but back in 2005 these buses cost a bit over a million apiece. Concern for the environment does not trump this kind of ridiculous expense just to show that something will work if you throw enough dollars at it.

Now the coach quietly sitting behind the first fuel cell bus, ahh now that's an example of when we still knew how to build a bus that carried people where they needed to go. Topic for another thread, another day.

timecruncher

It sounds like VTA got a bargain, as the Connecticut fuel cell buses have been quoted as costing about $2.5 million apiece. The first fuel cell bus was driven to the UTC plant, several miles north of Hartford, for fueling. A fueling station is being constructed at CT Transit, now that there will be about a half dozen vehicles needing to be serviced.

Even though the expense is significant, I believe that operating the buses in Hartford is a good idea, given that it is so close to UTC. The engineering and design people can have easy access to the buses operating in real world conditions, and the vehicles can easily be returned to the factory for repairs and modifications. The question is, can the cost be brought down enough to make the fuel cell a viable power source for transit fleets? In the meantime, give me a good old smoke belching diesel that can be relied on day in and out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: