BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MCI Classics/GMC RTSs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1988 MCI TC40-102A

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: MCI Classics/GMC RTSs Reply with quote

Are there any model MCI Classics or GMC RTSs around in PBL schemes (besides the Green Lines RTS piggy banks)? Even if I could just get one or two in all white and paint them, that would be pretty cool IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: MCI Classics/GMC RTSs Reply with quote

1988 MCI TC40-102A wrote:
Are there any model MCI Classics or GMC RTSs around in PBL schemes (besides the Green Lines RTS piggy banks)? Even if I could just get one or two in all white and paint them, that would be pretty cool IMO.

As far as the MCI Classic, I have only seen EXACTLY ONE UNIT, a large 18" resin model made by Bob Garret of MA. of a Liberty Lines bus. That item went for mucho, mucho $$$$ on E-bay. There are not plastic models of a Classic, nor has Corgi announced any plans for one Sad

There are several RTS's out there. Since you don't say what series, here is a list to the best of my knowledge.

1 - Jimson # 737 - This is the plastic model that is striped into all liveries and is sold by the Transit Museum, Royal Coach, F&J Buses among other vendors. There is no indication of a bus manufacturer.

2 - Airjet Industries - This is a resin model of an 03, with the slope back. It is the size of a Corgi. Originally made for GM to give to executives of the companies buying a certain # of buses. It comes screwed into a wooden base with a plexi-glass cover. There are two demonstrator livies. A white body eith blue stripes. There is also a white body, with green and brown stripes (not common). They don't come up on E-bay very often.

3 - Dave Roberts - This is an HO scale hydrocal model of an 03. Mine is painted for San Francisco. Don't know how many are out there. I have mine for several years from E-bay and have not seen another DR model since.

4 - Hot Wheels - They have several models of the 03. I have a school bus version and one that is white with orange and yellow stripes.

5 - Micro Machines - I think they only had one model of the 03. Its very tiny and not particular to scale.

Happy hunting !
fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: MCI Classics/GMC RTSs Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Airjet Industries - This is a resin model of an 03, with the slope back. It is the size of a Corgi. Originally made for GM to give to executives of the companies buying a certain # of buses. It comes screwed into a wooden base with a plexi-glass cover. There are two demonstrator livies. A white body eith blue stripes. There is also a white body, with green and brown stripes (not common). They don't come up on E-bay very often.

Picked up an Airjet Industries threesome on eBay not too long ago (it's Sept. 2010 as I write this): a white/blue stripe (RTS demo) slope back, a solid white slope back, and a square back in LA livery. Very nice!

I'd give up my birthright for a model of a GM/MCI Classic... any kind of model!!
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate Models of England also made a metal RTS model - it was 1/87th (HO) scale and was available in both the 03 slantback and 04 straightback versions. Pirate sold various U.S. bus models (including GMC Old Looks and New Looks and a Grumman-Flxible 870) in the late 1970's and early 1980's.
fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate models looked great and were very accurate. The problem for me was that I never figured out how to glue the metal pieces together. I tried once and failed miserably. So... I'm pretty sure I still have a couple of unbuilt ones stashed away somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> The Bus Modeler All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: