BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Day Of LI Bus Cuts Comes As Surprise To Some Riders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B53RICH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: First Day Of LI Bus Cuts Comes As Surprise To Some Riders Reply with quote

Newsday article:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/first-day-of-li-bus-cuts-comes-as-surprise-to-some-riders-1.2060186

First Day Of LI Bus Cuts Comes As Surprise To Some Riders

Originally published: June 28, 2010 11:36 AM
Updated: June 28, 2010 11:55 AM
By ALFONSO A. CASTILLO

Throughout Nassau County Monday morning, commuters got a rude awakening as they arrived at their usual bus stops.

Monday marked the first work day on which several service cuts throughout Long Island Bus took effect. In total, 11 entire bus lines were eliminated, and several more drastically reduced their service.

"There's no more 28?" Eva Ramirez, of Inwood, said after waiting several minutes for the N28 bus near the Roslyn Long Island Rail Road station. The bus would typically shuttle workers from the train to a nearby industrial park, where Ramirez works cleaning offices.

Having been out of work last week with an injury, Ramirez said she had no idea that the bus she has taken for four years would be gone as of Monday. "I don't know what's going to happen. I'm really surprised."

For now, Ramirez and other commuters took advantage of a $5 shuttle van set up by Delux Limousine Service. Company spokesman Bob Howard said the temporary service is a money loser but is "the right thing to do."

Near the Hicksville LIRR station, more than a dozen jubilant Carle Place teenagers lost much of their enthusiasm after they discovered that the bus they counted on taking them to Jones Beach would not be arriving - it, too, a casualty of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's budget cuts.

They would have to take three buses to get to the beach from there.

Transit officials have said the cuts to LI Bus, which aim to save $1.6 million a year, are necessary given the MTA's unprecedented $800 million budget shortfall.

Maria Bynoe, of Hempstead, said the elimination of the N17 forced her to walk 15 minutes to the next nearest bus stop. The ensuing delay caused her to miss a connecting bus, and be forced to choose between being late to her job as a nurse in Plainview or pay for an expensive cab.

"This is total chaos," Bynoe said, as she pondered her options at a Hicksville bus stop. "It's not fair to me."
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go, MTA! Budget shortfall at $800M! This response with potential savings of two tenths of one percent.
(Yeah, Yeah. Years back, I learned arithmetic!)...

Anyone want me to do a bumper sticker ala' 1960s? "What if there was a transit agency, and brain dead at the controls?"

........................Vern..................
scatman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b53rich wrote "11 bus lines were eliminated and several others drastically reduced service" I BELIEVE THIS TO BE A MISSTATEMENT, indeed many lines were eliminated but none others in nassau had any service reduced, but actually improved, except for the n88 which ends earlier and the midday n14 service which probably wasnt all the necessary as this is an lirr commuter shuttle. the n2, n25, n23, and n26 have all been improved with their streamlining, they all run later and earlier with better headways
scatman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: service changes Reply with quote

although the n2 no longer operates to or from jamaica, peak hour service along the ENTIRE route from sewanaka hs to green acres has been improved to regular 30 minute bi-directional intervals, with earlier and later service from BOTH ends. there are plenty of n6s with a free transfer at hemp/meacham
B53RICH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
b53rich wrote "11 bus lines were eliminated and several others drastically reduced service" I BELIEVE THIS TO BE A MISSTATEMENT,

I was only quoting Newsday's "accurate" reporting.
scatman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotcha,

the n25 may longer serve the inner roads of lake success quad but there are now earlier and later departures from BOTH ends 7 DAYS a week. the first from lynbrook used to be 530am and the last like 830 pm. sunday has been improved to match saturday with earlier and later trips and i believe sat has some later trips too. the n26 has one more wb afternoon trip and they are now at 30 min intervals. the n23 am peak intervals have been improved, the first nb used to leave mineola at like 510 or so and there wasnt another one for over an hour bc the first bus used to do that short trip back to port wash lirr and back to manorhaven
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: