BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B14, Sutter Avenue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: B14, Sutter Avenue Reply with quote

Today's New York Daily News has a story headlined "Brooklyn's 75th Precinct nervously watches rising tide of crime," linked here:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/05/27/2010-05-27_crime_wave_in_bklyn_nabe.html
I looked up the precinct, and on Google Street view I see that it is across the street from a stop of the B14, which begins at the Utica Avenue IRT express station and continues almost due east to Drew Street, the Brooklyn City Line, and a postal mail-handling "facility."
----
Would this route be an original pre-1940 BMT bus route, not only bringing residents of East New York to the Pitkin Avenue shopping district but also to the rival IRT? At one time, Pitkin Avenue was the #2 shopping district of Brooklyn, second to downtown Fulton Street. I recall a photo somewhere of such a Brownsville-ENY feeder bus going through a tree-lined residential district. I would not be surprised if the route number 14 dates from the introduction of BMT feeder buses.
Joe McMahon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: