BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leyland Double Decker Bus Info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Exchange Place & Collector's Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shevelle

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Leyland Double Decker Bus Info Reply with quote

Hi Everyone! I just ran across this forum while I was searching for information on a bus I ran across yesterday. The owner is looking to sell some of his collection of cars and he also had this bus. He indicated it was one of two made and I'm curious as to what it is and what value it may have. Anyone here recognize what it might be or have any info? Thanks!

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shevelle,

While I'm no expert on English equipment, I can tell you that according to 'World Buses and Coaches 81-82' (a Japanese publication) your specimen is absolutely of Leyland design and probably started out as a London Transport RTL 800/Leyland 7RT (double decker).

It is obvious that somewhere along the line the roof and upper windows were removed possibly for more head room as a motor home.

Unfortunately, that conversion rendered the bus as virtually worthless to a collector.

BTW; let me take this opportunity to welcome you to BusTalk and say that we look forward to your valued contributions.

Regards,

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is it located?

I wouldn't say it's worthless to a collector. I've seen far worse and more modified buses restored, especially if it's one of only two made (though that sounds suspect). If nothing else, it could be a valuable parts source.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also can't say for certain that it's an RTL. The best site I know for London bus info is Ian's Bus Stop, http://www.countrybus.org
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the grille and tear-drop windshield, I think I've narrowed it down to a B or STD. I can't find any with the destination sign configuration or the front door on the left side like this one, though.
Washie.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Leyland Double Decker Bus Reply with quote

Some info on this bus,New in 7/1961, Chassis LD PD 2/37 610365,
Body Wh M9627
Seating H37/27F
Owners Brighton
Fleet Number 3

Found Information on Bus Lists on the Web,typing in the Registration on this site.
I hope this is of some help to you.

Washie.

Crazyhorse
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it! This is what it's supposed to look like:

It appears to be one of sixteen Weymann-bodied Leyland PD2/37 coaches delivered to Brighton in June and July of 1961, out of a production run that lasted from 1956 to 1968. Perhaps it's one of two that were decapitated and turned into motor homes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Exchange Place & Collector's Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: