BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NYCT Service Cuts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: NYCT Service Cuts Reply with quote

This document describes in detail the NYCT service cuts currently under consideration:

http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/100125_1031_service2010-nyct.pdf

What I found particularly interesting were the stats on actual costs per passenger for various NYCT bus routes.
With very few exceptions, $2.25/rider just does not cover operating costs.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope someone other than me comments on the cost-per-ride figures, which I have been unable to digest.
----
Allow me to focus on one service change: In the 1940's I rode the Webster and White Plains Road streetcar, which carried the letter W. It was one of the heaviest routes in The Bronx, and it remained so as Bx41. The route from the Hub to Wakefield might be almost a century old. NYCT has decided to remove the 18-minute section north of Gun Hill Road and tack that stretch onto the Bx39, the stated purpose being to replace the more frequent Bx41 with the less frequent Bx39. NYCT in your link then makes the unrealistic claim that the required transfer would add two or three minutes to the passenger's trip. The scheduled headway on Bx39 midday is 12 minutes, so the transfer time is "up to 12 minutes if the connecting bus is on schedule," not 2 or 3 minutes.
-----
Back to Bx41: A shorter run should help the Bx41 maintain proper schedule, but I would not count on it. About 1 p.m. today, a friend waited for a southbound Bx41 at Bedford Park Blvd. After 25 minutes, three arrived! The schedule says the Bx41 passes Gun Hill Road seven times an hour.
-----
The Bx39's new length will be about 5 minutes shorter than the current length of the Bx41.
timecruncher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it, people. Farebox revenues come nowhere near covering total operating costs, even on the heaviest routes.

Even out-of-pocket costs are generally above what fares cover because so many people are riding on reduced-fare media of some sort -- students, seniors, the disabled.

Add in the fixed overhead costs such as risk management, service yards and maintenance, exhorbitant fuel, parts and wage/benefits costs, and you'll find that the cost per hour to run a bus is probably close to $125.

As for trips bunching up, well that is a function of too much traffic, throw a couple of wheelchairs in on the first bus and watch buses bunch up. Often as not, there are no route supervisors any more to help get them back on schedule, so the buses simply continue to get later. Happens in smaller cities as well as bigger places like New York.

timecruncher
smokiecat

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: service cut document is updated to March 2010---- Reply with quote

MTA

NYCT

LI Bus

etc

Steve
NYC FDNY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: