BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW IDEAS 4 LIB - PLEASE POST NEW THOUGHTS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scatman,

While you make what seem to be many worthwhile suggestions, I would have to agree with Hart Bus that you should condense and simplify your writings (I became lost in the second paragraph of the first post).

There are many Long Islanders and ex Long Islanders including myself that would certainly like to help you if your thoughts were made a little easier to understand.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
I've got a couple of ideas for you. First use Capital Letters at the beginning of sentences...Obviously by the lack of response, nobody cares and can picture what you are saying system wide.

We don't take off points for spelling or punctuation here.

Lack of response doesn't mean lack of interest. We have more lurkers than posters here, and if they weren't interested in reading people's ideas, they wouldn't have registered in the first place. I'm not familiar enough with Long Island to make specific comments, but I'm interested in reading the posts and having the opportunity to toss around fresh ideas.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
Hart Bus wrote:
I've got a couple of ideas for you. First use Capital Letters at the beginning of sentences...Obviously by the lack of response, nobody cares and can picture what you are saying system wide.

Lack of response doesn't mean lack of interest. We have more lurkers than posters here, and if they weren't interested in reading people's ideas, they wouldn't have registered in the first place. I'm not familiar enough with Long Island to make specific comments, but I'm interested in reading the posts and having the opportunity to toss around fresh ideas.

Mike, I understand your point about spelling or punctuation, my comment (backed up by Mr. Linsky) pertains to the cohesiveness of the author's writing. It's hard to follow and understand such long rambling thoughts and sentences. You can't grasp one thought/comment before three more are being tossed at you.

It's like having a blond hair boy asking "what about this, what about that, what about something else" before you can answer him. Of course I'm referring to a certain 3 year old Very Happy , not a 38 year old who should have better writing skills.
scatman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason i post in bulk is because I DO NOT pay attention to this website on a regular basis nor LONG ISLAND BUS for that matter. This week I have some free time to play around here and that is what i am doing. I have looked at what Joe Smith (MTA CEO for ALL MTA bus garages) and his administration have done for both LIB and MTA BUS this pick and am brainstorming some more possibilites of readjusting services as he and his people have done over the past two years. I am considering submitting some ideas to the committee. I can not comment for MTA BUS because I spent many years in NASSAU and I know their system better than the private lines that are now MTA BUS. After the next day or few it will likely be many weeks before I log on to this site again, so hartbus and whomever else that cannot digest the ideas in two days will have plenty of time to do so. The posts are very simple and straight forward but you will need to have the LIB schedules in front of you on a separate window to fully understand the rescheduling ideas. I am suggesting longer spans of service on many marginal, very underutilized routes, with longer headways in between since these lines carry predominately persons with no other alternative, all done under the existing budget and/or reducing costs. As far as hartbus having MR L to back him up, it appears it is a FAIR 2 VS 2 HERE.
scatman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HARTBUS,

If You can't comprehend all of the posts at one time, then read them one at a time only. I understand your view of rapid posts but as I just said in my last, it will be some time before I have time to sit down and brainstorm again. So, if and when you are done comprehending the first post, please move on to the next. If you cannot comprehend even the first, then do not read the rest. Looking at the number of views this topic has had in the last few days, there seems to be plenty of interest.

Do I get a passing grade for grammar this time, Professor???
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusTalk.info has never really been highly critical on unorthodox methods of presentation and the grammatical errors that might dot a post - and that's good because none of us are English professors!

This was not the case with the original BusTalk.net; in fact, we were threatened with expulsion even for misspellings.

My first posts at BTN were with all upper case letters merely because I could see them better on the screen and was chastised severely for it.

While I'm no less of a perfectionist than Hart Bus is in these matters, I think we have to afford some latitude to those who are not as well versed in composition because their contributions are still among our most important assets!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:

As I get a chance, I will try my best to fix punctuation and spelling. Hopefully, this will help things out for everybody.

The reason for this-- So We Can Talk Buses!!
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scatman -

Well, lots of luck in all of it. Trust you may have credibility with thems who hold the pencils in all this. The other options are non productive,
i.e. a noisy attendant at a "public input meeting" charade and show trial. Or, an enthused armchair, avocational player, with sweeping scope
of all sorts of "what if" scenarios. The latter provides a rationale to sip some beverages...

Vital considerations? Are the riders receiving adequate services? Can all of it get done within context of available budgets?

Removed from Long Island headaches, in Northeast Maryland...

...............Vern....................
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scatman wrote:
HARTBUS,

If You can't comprehend all of the posts at one time, then read them one at a time only. I understand your view of rapid posts but as I just said in my last, it will be some time before I have time to sit down and brainstorm again. So, if and when you are done comprehending the first post, please move on to the next. If you cannot comprehend even the first, then do not read the rest. Looking at the number of views this topic has had in the last few days, there seems to be plenty of interest.

Do I get a passing grade for grammar this time, Professor???

Thank you for bestowing the title of "Professor" on me. Based on my grades in High School and College English you'd know that I am not worthy of that title. The title should be "Perfessor" as a tribute to Casey Stengel's brand of English.

What I am attempting to tell you is that you should watch your writing and spelling so that people should want to analyze and respond to your posts. If you were to paste all your posts and send them to the powers that be, they'd probably throw them in the garbage due to the difficulty of reading them.

To get people's attention the writing should be crisp, clean and no run-on sentences.

Since you are also proposing schedule changes it is usually better to show them in table form instead of in a narrative, so that the proposed changes can be seen.

I am not judging your thoughts, but your method of presentation. I read this board almost daily. I see a post make a decision about the author's comments. I then sometimes contribute a comment to them. To expect me to constantly come back to your posts one at a time, while looking at the MTA website for schedules. Who has the time or desire for this?

Good luck on trying to get your suggestions implemented.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
ripta42 wrote:

As I get a chance, I will try my best to fix punctuation and spelling. Hopefully, this will help things out for everybody.

I believe I fixed the punctuation and spelling WITHOUT changing anything. PPL went to people, b/c went to because, etc. Anything I was not sure about, I did not change, as to keep the poster's thoughts their thoughts, NOT MINE. Hopefully, this will make things easier for everybody.
scatman

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hwyhaulier has posted something - never seen the sn b4, the answer to your question is YES - all of my ideas expand service hours but increase waiting time for the next bus and even offer new sunday services where there were none - the routes i have discussed carry very, very few ppl and I am just brainstorming some new ideas to try and attract pll to utilize the routes. all of my ideas are done with either the same budget or reduces operating costs. That is why I have broken down the amounts of current trips in each of the postings - if the current budget calls for a combined total of 76 trips per week, the scheduling department can pretty much reschedule those 76 trips to depart at any time of the day or night they want at whatever service intervals they feel are best and they will do it based on how best the trips link in with other arriving buses in the main end terminals that will be interlined with the routes. WHAT THEY CANNOT DO - is add more than 76 trips per week b/c this will increase operating costs and then they will need more money from the state or county. they also cannot amend the routes to run where there currently are no buses without approval from the community and leaders. the 73/74 CAN be extended to broadway mall pending approval from mall mgmt b/c there already are other routes there.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scatman -

Thanks! I try. I don't claim it to be original thinking. Much of it is simply inferences from larger concepts advanced by Jerry Brown, Oakland, about
"finite resources". Many of the current day TAs experience it. Just so much funding from the State Legislatures, and no more.

Service "spreads"? Stretch them out, so equipment appears into extended hours? It can be done (and is) but at penalty of much longer times
between service at stops on the routes. Much of what and how it was done by National City Lines managements, years back, worked satisfactorily.

Should one delve into objective review of NCL as a business case study, it did many things most effectively. It helps if one dismisses the rantings
of the streetcar foamers, while amidst a clinical overview. All they do is drag out a case of bad law, and are without focus on the objective:
Did the carrier make net money at it?

........................Vern.................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: