BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'THE GOOD SHEPHERD'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: 'THE GOOD SHEPHERD' Reply with quote

'The Good Shepherd' was a 2006 spy film distributed by Universal Studios directed by Robert De Niro and starring Matt Damon and Angelina Jolie, with an extensive supporting cast.

Although it is a fictional account loosely based on real events, it was advertised as relating the untold story of the birth of counter-intelligence in the Central Intelligence Agency.

The film's main character, Edward Wilson (portrayed by Matt Damon), is loosely based on James Jesus Angleton and Richard M. Bissell. William Hurt's character, Phillip Allen, is largely based on Allen Dulles, while General Bill Sullivan, played by Robert De Niro, is loosely based on Major General William Joseph Donovan. Lee Pace's character, Richard Hayes, is based loosely on Richard Helms.

In the August 10th. 2005 image below Matt Damon (right) is seen on location in Manhasset, Long Island boarding a GM Old Look bus.

The coach, carrying a fictitious license plate, appears to be similar to a preserved specimen owned by Double A Transportation of Rocky Hill, Connecticut who specializes in buses for movies.(this is a supposition on my part and I do stand corrected on this point).

BTW; 'Rotten Tomatoes' gave this film a '56' on their tomatometer!

Photo by Mat Szwajkos/Getty Images.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 'L' -

USA Network ran this film on SA 17 and SU 18 APR. Viewed it in entirety on SU. The few appearances on transit coaches depicted
what were represented as Washington DC locales. The hair splitting remark about it: The paint schemes weren't faithful to operators
of the time. But, we went thru this with earlier, A Bronx Tale. It is no easy thing to replicate a fifty years ago bus!

Found this more recent film quite a provocative work. A number of 'net reviews and critiques available. Something of a complex morality
play. One reference here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0343737/

.......................Vern.................
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 'THE GOOD SHEPHERD' Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
The coach, carrying a fictitious license plate, appears to be similar to a preserved specimen owned by Double A Transportation of Rocky Hill, Connecticut who specializes in buses for movies.(this is a supposition on my part and I do stand corrected on this point).

I'll second that; it sure looks like New Britain Transportation #10 to me!
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From IMCDB, a 3207 painted as AB&W 881 (originally a Johnstown Traction coach):

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 -

I'm not clear exactly what was used in the film. At one point, I thought I may have caught a glimpse of the older AB&W colors...

Just viewed IMCDB link. Yep! confirms, the Tech Director relied on more than one bus...

Still doesn't change anything that it is one creepy film. Noted the clever use of a Beechcraft Twin, to take care of some business...

...............Vern.................
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I haven't the foggiest notion as to where the 'Good Shepherd' bus in the image came from except to say that my Double A suggestion was an educated guess.

However, if it will add some resolution to the question, I can say that it is 96" wide (by the distance between the floor vents under the windshield and which may eliminate DC as a candidate!), and it was built in 1952 or later (considering the updated signal lights and 'GM' emblem).

As far as New Britain, Connecticut goes, Oak Street Bus Company did have a TDH 3612 numbered 9 but was delivered in 1950.

Sorry that I don't have more information.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your guess was absolutely correct; it's Double A's New Britain Transportation (née Oak Street Bus Line) 10, a 1953 TDH3714.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

You mean I got something right?

My record hasn't been too good lately.

I guess I'm getting too old for this - but, I'll keep trying.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

P.S.; Happy birthday to me!
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Buses in Pop Culture All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: