BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Under consideration -Sunday Service to Suffolk for 24 Routes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Under consideration -Sunday Service to Suffolk for 24 Routes Reply with quote

i don't have all the details, but it looks like May 1, 2011 Suffolk could have Sunday Service.

There will be a fare hike, but idk by how much. some are going around saying that the fare will be $2.25, but the article i saw on it and that the person is showing as proof, doesn't say that or at least i didn't see that written.

last i heard was that the guy who came up with this plan said to increase by like .25, which i thought was a good idea for Sunday Service for 24 routes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found this article that says what i know, and shows that now fare hike price has been set yet. http://www2.timesreview.com/ST/Stories/0323410_buses_whatsnew
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick read of the article says that if all the dominoes fall properly May 2011 could be the starting date, but there are a lot of hurdles to overcome.

This idea is being floated by an East End politician hungry for some free press on his climb up the ladder. Consider how bureaucrats are notorious for overestimating revenue and underestimating costs to create a bigger deficit. I give you the new MTA tax that was instituted in the latter part of last year and is already $140 MILLION behind budget.

Where will the extra buses come from? If you state that the current fleet will be used, where is the money for the early retirement come from since they will wear out faster due to increased usage?

There is also the issue of the economy. People are out of work, taxpayers are being socked left and right with tax increases. There has to come a time when the taxpayers rise up and say that its a good idea but we just can't afford it.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

Them's poils of wisdom! (definitely 'Letter's to the Editor' material).

I especially like the last line which intimates a taxpayer revolt! (I'm looking forward to that!).

Reminds me of 'Network' - a 1976 film starring Peter Finch playing a distraught TV anchor who, in one scene, opens his office window and yells out "I can't take it any more!" (and then promises to commit suicide on his show).

Good piece.

Regards,

WCA
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to imagine that the majority of riders will be OK with a fare hike, especially since Sunday ridership on most systems is a fraction of weekday ridership.
scatman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Sunday for Suffolk Reply with quote

MARK YOUR CALENDARS - MAY 1, 2011 - that will be the day we see Suffolk buses running around with big MTA letters all over their buses and Suffolk becomes part of MTA LONG ISLAND BUS
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sunday for Suffolk Reply with quote

scatman wrote:
MARK YOUR CALENDARS - MAY 1, 2011 - that will be the day we see Suffolk buses running around with big MTA letters all over their buses and Suffolk becomes part of MTA LONG ISLAND BUS

Suffolk has been trying to get Sunday Service for years, they just couldn't pay for it. i don't think this has anything to do with the MTA since the guy who is setting it up never said before that he was for an MTA take over. If Mr. Romanie had made something that could work then i would agree with you
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
A quick read of the article says that if all the dominoes fall properly May 2011 could be the starting date, but there are a lot of hurdles to overcome.

This idea is being floated by an East End politician hungry for some free press on his climb up the ladder. Consider how bureaucrats are notorious for overestimating revenue and underestimating costs to create a bigger deficit. I give you the new MTA tax that was instituted in the latter part of last year and is already $140 MILLION behind budget.

Where will the extra buses come from? If you state that the current fleet will be used, where is the money for the early retirement come from since they will wear out faster due to increased usage?

There is also the issue of the economy. People are out of work, taxpayers are being socked left and right with tax increases. There has to come a time when the taxpayers rise up and say that its a good idea but we just can't afford it.

he talked about a plan to get Sunday Service last year, right before Levy went to the state about an MTA takeover.

they would prob use the same fleet they do on weekdays, and there would prob be less buses running like on on Routes Sat schedule. Suffolk is getting new buses in October.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Sunday for Suffolk Reply with quote

scatman wrote:

Just to be fair to the calendars out there, I will mark mine after the fact. The MTA was not very good on keeping dates with LIB. And keeping in mind the money situation haunting them, right now you would need a crystal ball to say definate for May 2011.
B53RICH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'd like to see a link or a copy to an official source that states this.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B53RICH wrote:
Quote:

I'd like to see a link or a copy to an official source that states this.

prob said that cuz of suffolk getting Sunday Service and the fact that Steve Levy is going to be running for Governor if he beats Lazio and Levy is for a MTA takeover of Suffolk Transit.

serprisingly i couldn't find anything from the County announcing that Sunday Service could be or will be coming.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic title changed to reflect that ST Sunday service is still under consideration, and is not yet confirmed.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
Topic title changed to reflect that ST Sunday service is still under consideration, and is not yet confirmed.

if the two articles i saw are right it passed the legislature, which means it will most likely will happen. they just need told hold a hearing on the fare increase, and that would be it (unless Levy has to sign off on it).

other then those articles nothing has been said as far as i know, but they may be waiting until after the fare hearing (when ever that will be) to announce that there will be Sunday Service next year
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: