BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request for Suffolk County's old and new bus rosters...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ICMC 1982 Flyer D901A

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Request for Suffolk County's old and new bus rosters...? Reply with quote

Ah well, so much for looking for an new member intro topic, this is my first post.

Anyway, does anyone know the rosters for these Suffolk County companies, from the 1960s to now?

Suffolk Bus

Inter County Motor Coach

Hampton Jitney

Sunrise Coach

CBS Lines (and its predecessor)

EBT lines

as well as the others that I have missed....? Thanks.

(oops, wrong section...sorry)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. I trust you will learn a lot and contribute a lot to this board. I have learned quite a bit from this board as well as its predecessors.

I'm not sure what you mean by rosters, but I assume year, make, model and fleet #'s. Its a tall order since Suffolk is so large and many of us haven't been in every part of the county or have kept records.

There were many small bus companies in existence until Suffolk Transit was created and sub-contracted with some of the companies.

I think you should have broken your list into two categories. The first one should be companies that operated transit routes and those that are primarily charter or OTR companies.

Based upon memory, faulty as it is, here are a list of transit companies

1 - Alert Coach (Amityville to Walt Whitman Mall) now merged into the
S-1 Route. I know they ran a ex-Bee Line bus with a fleet # of 6xx.

2 - Suffolk Bus - not sure if they ran transits prior to ST

3 - Intercounty. - not sure if they ran transits or it was done by a subsidiary / affiliate known as Babylon Transit.

4 - Hampton Jitney - never ran transits until Suffolk T. came into being.

5 - Sunrise Coach - same answer as #4

6 - CBS Lines ( a subsidiary of Harran, I think) and its predecessor, Coram Bus Service - I think ran transits.

7 - EBT, Lines. a subsidiary of scholl bus operator Educational Bus Service.
Not sure if they ran transits prior to ST

8 - Louis Fuocco Bus Lines. Ran a route on Montauk Highway from Babylon to Patchogue.

9 - Northport Bus Company- Ran a route from the Northport Train Station along Pulaski Road to Cold Spring Harbor Train Station. Was taken over by Town of Huntington as part of HART. Their final 3 fishbowls were renumbered 101, 102 & 103 by HART.

10 - Huntington Coach- primarily a school bus company but ran a route from Halesite down to Walt Whitman Mall. Suffolk Transit merged it with the Alert Coach route into the S-1 which runs from Halesite to Amityville.
The last two Fishbowls were 400 & 401. I have a photo of a Old Look numbered 402.

A footnote to Huntington Coach----they also ran a service for the LIRR called a Rail and Road Service using Suburban Fishbowls. The LIRR ran trips to wineries, etc. You'd take the train to Babylon or Huntington and then hop on one of these coaches. I don't know the acquisition dates but I have photos of buses 371-375 all lined up at Huntington LIRR when new.
Also have photos of 364,368 and 370.

Hope all of the above helps.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow-up to my previous post, I reviewed the photos in the Joe Saitta produced Mega Bus Calendars for 1996, 1997 & 1998. I found pictures of the following equipment:

1 - ICMC # 409 a TDH-5301 ex MBTA #304 at the south (then Macy's) end of the mall. Hard to tell the destination but was probably Babylon or Patchogue ( today's S-29 or S-54)

2 - Alert # 92 on the S-62 on the Port Jeff to Patchouge route. I would guess this bus went up and down the length of Route 112.

3 - Coram Bus Lines ( predecessor to CBS LInes) # 340 a TDH-4517 purchased from Greater Richmond (VA) TA. The picture is by the Smithhaven Mall, with the bus in its orginal VA livery and same #. There was no roll sign in the destination box and no paper sign.

4 - Suffolk Bus Corp # 517. A T6H-4521 ex Utica TA # 517 at Babylon RR station. No roll sign in destination box, but paper sign says "Bay Shore".

5 - Huntington Coach assigned to LIRR Road Y Rail service # 500 at Babylon RR. Sign says "No Passengers"

6 - Coram Bus Service # 293 a 1965 TDH4519 ex-Blue Bird Coach bus. THis bus was was in a close livery to the first ST livery. The old roll sign is still installed but not showing a destination. Hand written sign showws the bus is heading to Smith Point Beach.

7 - ICMC # 378 TDH-5302, ex Regional Transit Service (Rochester NY) #211. Picture is taken Babylon. Sign sayss Walt Whitman Mall / Babylon. Presumably the S-29. There is another fishbowl in a different livery, predominately yellow and white. The visible part of the destination sign says Babylon, in the opposite position of ICMC's. Can't determine the # or operator of the second bus
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Old Coarm Bus Service Did Run Transit
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
As a follow-up to my previous post, I reviewed the photos in the Joe Saitta produced Mega Bus Calendars for 1996, 1997 & 1998. I found pictures of the following equipment:

1 - ICMC # 409 a TDH-5301 ex MBTA #304 at the south (then Macy's) end of the mall. Hard to tell the destination but was probably Babylon or Patchogue ( today's S-29 or S-54)

2 - Alert # 92 on the S-62 on the Port Jeff to Patchouge route. I would guess this bus went up and down the length of Route 112.

3 - Coram Bus Lines ( predecessor to CBS LInes) # 340 a TDH-4517 purchased from Greater Richmond (VA) TA. The picture is by the Smithhaven Mall, with the bus in its orginal VA livery and same #. There was no roll sign in the destination box and no paper sign.

4 - Suffolk Bus Corp # 517. A T6H-4521 ex Utica TA # 517 at Babylon RR station. No roll sign in destination box, but paper sign says "Bay Shore".

5 - Huntington Coach assigned to LIRR Road Y Rail service # 500 at Babylon RR. Sign says "No Passengers"

6 - Coram Bus Service # 293 a 1965 TDH4519 ex-Blue Bird Coach bus. THis bus was was in a close livery to the first ST livery. The old roll sign is still installed but not showing a destination. Hand written sign showws the bus is heading to Smith Point Beach.

7 - ICMC # 378 TDH-5302, ex Regional Transit Service (Rochester NY) #211. Picture is taken Babylon. Sign sayss Walt Whitman Mall / Babylon. Presumably the S-29. There is another fishbowl in a different livery, predominately yellow and white. The visible part of the destination sign says Babylon, in the opposite position of ICMC's. Can't determine the # or operator of the second bus

man i would love to see the two Coarm Bus Service pic's cuz my grandpa use to drive for their transit and i wonder if hes one of the drivers (if their were any drivers in those shots)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: this list of bus companies in Suffolk County.

Sunrise Coach Lines was started in 1937 running a bus from the ferry at Orient Point to the Quogue railroad station. Over the years it was changed and extended; prior to the creation of Suffolk Transit, Sunrise Coach Lines was running two buses, one Greenport to East Hampton, one East Hampton to Greenport, two round-trips each, Mon - Sat. During the final years three GMC fishbowls were used, each was modified with a rear cargo area to haul freight (auto parts, newspapers, seafood, etc.) The freight operation ceased when Sufolk Transit took the routes.

"Based upon memory, faulty as it is, here are a list of transit companies

1 - Alert Coach (Amityville to Walt Whitman Mall) now merged into the
S-1 Route. I know they ran a ex-Bee Line bus with a fleet # of 6xx.

2 - Suffolk Bus - not sure if they ran transits prior to ST

3 - Intercounty. - not sure if they ran transits or it was done by a subsidiary / affiliate known as Babylon Transit.

4 - Hampton Jitney - never ran transits until Suffolk T. came into being.

5 - Sunrise Coach - same answer as #4

6 - CBS Lines ( a subsidiary of Harran, I think) and its predecessor, Coram Bus Service - I think ran transits.

7 - EBT, Lines. a subsidiary of scholl bus operator Educational Bus Service.
Not sure if they ran transits prior to ST

8 - Louis Fuocco Bus Lines. Ran a route on Montauk Highway from Babylon to Patchogue.

9 - Northport Bus Company- Ran a route from the Northport Train Station along Pulaski Road to Cold Spring Harbor Train Station. Was taken over by Town of Huntington as part of HART. Their final 3 fishbowls were renumbered 101, 102 & 103 by HART.

10 - Huntington Coach- primarily a school bus company but ran a route from Halesite down to Walt Whitman Mall. Suffolk Transit merged it with the Alert Coach route into the S-1 which runs from Halesite to Amityville.
The last two Fishbowls were 400 & 401. I have a photo of a Old Look numbered 402. "
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
Re: this list of bus companies in Suffolk County.

Sunrise Coach Lines was started in 1937 running a bus from the ferry at Orient Point to the Quogue railroad station. Over the years it was changed and extended; prior to the creation of Suffolk Transit, Sunrise Coach Lines was running two buses, one Greenport to East Hampton, one East Hampton to Greenport, two round-trips each, Mon - Sat. During the final years three GMC fishbowls were used, each was modified with a rear cargo area to haul freight (auto parts, newspapers, seafood, etc.) The freight operation ceased when Sufolk Transit took the routes.

you mean the freight operation was stop when Suffolk Transit was created. Suffolk Transit only had the right to plan the routes, they didn't own the routes that were run at the time of the creation of Suffolk Transit, as all the companies sued the county over that very fact which wasn't decided upon until six or so years ago.

the deal that was reached between the county and the bus companies was that Suffolk Transit can own the routes after their contract was up, which i think will be soon, and in return at the end of said contract the companies could bid on what ever route they wanted to run. Now weather that will actually happen idk, thats just what i heard
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. 60:

Do you know that CAPITAL LETTERS are supposed to start sentences? I would help us older folks whose eyes aren't that good. Also again its WHETHER not WEATHER or not.

Please proof read your post before sending it. You are supposed to compose a letter or paragraph, not type what you are saying. Also the word is BECAUSE not the text messaged CUZ.

To answer your question about freight, I don't know because freight hauling was not done in Western Suffolk, but there are cases where this type of thing even went on with trolleys in very rural area.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Mr. 60:

Do you know that CAPITAL LETTERS are supposed to start sentences? I would help us older folks whose eyes aren't that good. Also again its WHETHER not WEATHER or not.

Please proof read your post before sending it. You are supposed to compose a letter or paragraph, not type what you are saying. Also the word is BECAUSE not the text messaged CUZ.

To answer your question about freight, I don't know because freight hauling was not done in Western Suffolk, but there are cases where this type of thing even went on with trolleys in very rural area.

Sorry Mr. Hart, i didn't notice i didn't use capital letters when i started my sentences. I', also sorry about the spelling mistake, i saw never really good at it, and i'm sorry about writing Cuz instead of Because. (horrible habit with the last two, because i always lose my train of thought and try type as fast as i can before i do sometimes.)

Also sorry about the paragraphs, sometimes when i write i make so many mistakes that when i correct them, i believe i've done the stuff that is need, like spacing and starting new paragraphs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: