BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So....ya like the 4106??<G>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: So....ya like the 4106??<G> Reply with quote

.....nice to know I'm NOT the ONLY one who appreciates this oft-forgotten highway coach! Very Happy Clearly an updated 4104 with more angular lines, this smart-looking coach was rostered by numerous companies from coast-to-coast back in the good old days, including, of course, PSNJ! Very Happy Enjoy the pics! Very Happy http://www.njthc.org/collection/w608.html http://www.billvons.com/bus/buspage60.htm
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....have a few extra bucks to spend?? Very Happy http://www.sellabus.com/gm.html
Steve Carras

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure do......very neat looking model..
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me tell you fellows a story (I'm entitled because I'm the senior member here!).

I worked relief during the summers of 1959, 60 and 61 for Green Bus Lines (NY) and was very often assigned vacation relief on the Q10 line with one of its several branches going into then NY International (now JFK) airport.

If you know the route you know that in those days we swung around from Richmond Hill Circle past the Federal Building on to what was then nothing less than a super straightaway to the main (and only) passenger terminal.

It was a time when Carey Transportation was at its busiest hauling the carriage trade from Manhattan and they'd come barreling through from the Van Wyck in their gorgeous new 4106's at never less than 60 or 65 MPH.

I would often meet them as I merged onto the expressway but as much as I tried to keep up with them, they'd leave me in the dust - and Carey's drivers, who were all really nice guys, would have a good laugh about my failed races when I'd finally reach the terminal.

Well, the tables turned one night because I'm driving a 5104 (and I still remember that it was #364) with a broken governor (I can't imagine how that happened! - but that's another story).

Now, the 5104 (we always called them 'Gondola Cars') was nimble and as light as a feather (it seemed that way anyway) and it could roll even with a working governor - but without it - watch out!

To make a very long story a little shorter, I beat Carey that night hands down and I had the last laugh at the terminal while their driver was scratching his head!

They were buses to be reckoned with, and they'll never be duplicated.

See company promotion shot below taken by unknown photographer

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: