BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[MA] MBTA to expand Silver Line (Mattapan service dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctrabs74 wrote:
I don't know who irritates me more: the idiots on Beacon Hill who, in typical Mass. fashion, bungled a major opportunity or the people opposed to the idea.

As someone who grew up in New England, I'm more inclined to blame the pols in this case...

It’s the small-mindedness of it all that irritates me. The local residents and shopkeepers who only care that they or their customers can no longer jaywalk at their leisure if a busway is in the middle of the street. The fire department no doubt working behind the scenes to torpedo a civic improvement because they may have to drive a block further a few times a year. The politicians who show no interest in leading the public and will not risk taking a stand in fear of angering a voting bloc, no matter how small. The overall sense that all of them would rather kill a project than try to work together and find a compromise that everyone can live with.

What’s really sad is that even in an economically-depressed minority neighborhood like this one, transit riders are still considered ‘those people’ and have no effective unified voice.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the loss of parking! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: