BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Green Bus Lines Service Car Equipment Thru 12/44

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Green Bus Lines Service Car Equipment Thru 12/44 Reply with quote

I believe that I may now be the only one left to have the Revenue and Service Car Equipment on Hand report for Green Bus Lines as compiled by the New York State Public Service Commission and published December 31st. 1944.

The revenue equipment (buses) has been enumerated in "New York City's Green Bus Lines" by Alan Bromberger (MCA Oct/Dec 2000), but the service car list has never been seen before, and I would like to add it here for both your enjoyment and posterity.

# MAKE MODEL MOTOR# YEAR

# A Ford Coupe 363173 1938
# B Ford Coupe 360659 1938
# D Ford Sp. Coupe 1GA51401 1942
# E Ford Sp. Coupe 1GA53511 1942
# F Chevrolet Sedan 2201141 1939
# 2 White None 45 1930
# 3 Mack Wrecker A366-75 1925
# 4 Ford Panel 3607998 1937
# 5 F.W.D. Snow Plow 18016 1919
# 6 Ward Le France Snow Plow 236429 1924
# 7 Ford Std. Panel 1950702 1935
# 10 Fordson Tractor 761-081 1934
# 11 Fordson Tractor 761-058 1934
# 12 Fordson Tractor 761-131 1934
# 14 Ford Pickup 1884876 1935
# 15 Walters Snow Plow 74612 1926
# 50 Chevrolet Stake BG596900 1944
# 51 Chevrolet Stake BG600680 1944
# 100 Brockway Pickup 30B2323 1930
# 101 Mack Truck 651198AL 1928
# 102 Indiana Open 121429 1935
# 103 Mack Truck BCE1478 1933
# 104 Mack Truck BCE2465 1933
# 112 Sterling Sander 267661 1930
SP Cadillac Ex. Sedan 416021032 1941
SP Cadillac Ex. Sedan 42620752 1942

Notes; Truck # 103 was Bus # G403
Truck # 104 was Bus # G400

Above data courtesy of the late Don Weiss (a close friend of mine, a Westchester PBL Dispatcher and a Board Member of the Motor Bus Society).

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York
Q65A

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post, Mr. L; thanks!!!
Today, the GBL service fleet would make an outstanding antique truck show. As a long-time big truck fan and member of the ATHS (American Truck Historical Society) I am very impressed.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Thanks for the compliment.

Believe it or not, the 1919 F.W.D. and the 1926 Walters snow plows ran well into the late fifties! (thanks to 'machinist' grade mechanics in the main shops).

I remember that they were painted in a dark red (with appropriate emergency markings and lights) and had the 'old look' Courtesy/Dependabilty decals on the doors.

Of course, in later years, they were radio equipped as were all Green Line service vehicles (including Mr. Cooper's Cadillac!).

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: 'Communications' Reply with quote

As long as we're on the subject of communication, let's talk about the Green Bus Lines communication system before the advent of all the modern methods used today.

Of course, there were always pay phones for drivers to call from in their travels in the event of a problem, but the company wanted as direct a source of availability as possible, and, to this end, contracted with the then New York Telephone Company to install a system wide network of 'private lines'.

A private line or 'PL' as it was known was wired in such a manner that when a caller would pick up the instrument it would automatically ring at the pre set destination (in this case, the telephone switchboard at what is now JFK depot - BTW; the daytime operator in the fifties was a young lady by the name of Mabel who looked a lot like Lilly Tomlin - I kid you not).

The phones were spread all over the routes of the company and were usually placed at terminus points in police type call boxes (Q10 had one at 80th. Rd. and Queens Boulevard, one at Richmond Hill Circle and one outside 'The Stand' at Jamaica Avenue and Lefferts Boulevard.

This system did not come cheap even in those days. The monthly charge for each extension (which is exactly how they appeared on the board at the office) was based upon mileage and considered to be a 'foreign exchange' (I would have to say that the monthly bills could have run into the thousands!).

Compared to today's electronics, this was a 'two cups and a cord' operation but it worked!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Operator, Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Nice post, Mr. L; thanks!!!
Today, the GBL service fleet would make an outstanding antique truck show. As a long-time big truck fan and member of the ATHS (American Truck Historical Society) I am very impressed.

Bob,

Interestingly, I have a copy of the third edition (dated 11/01/89) of the ATHS Antique Truck Registry that I have referred to many times in my avocation as a broker of vintage vehicles to the motion picture and television industry.

I'm sure there have been many later issues but the 'characters' don't change that much in this business!

Through the years, we've used various vintage trucks mostly for commercials including a 'Divco-Twin' for the Borden Milk Company, and a chain drive 'AC' Mack for The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company (A&P).

Question; did you know that 'Autocar' still makes trucks? Answer; I had thought they had gone out of business years ago but they didn't, and they now specialize in manufacturing sanitation trucks! http://www.autocartruck.com/

Question (for which I don't know the answer); I have seen numbers of late model trucks with the name 'Sterling' on the hood.
Many years ago Sterling was 'premiere' heavy duty, and ranked with Autocar and Mack in the field (especially in dump trucks).

Is what I now see the same Sterling company?

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"

ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Question (for which I don't know the answer); I have seen numbers of late model trucks with the name 'Sterling' on the hood.
Many years ago Sterling was 'premiere' heavy duty, and ranked with Autocar and Mack in the field (especially in dump trucks).

No, that Sterling disappeared in 1955, two years after being purchased by White. The current Sterling is the vocational truck subsidiary of Freightliner and has only been around since 1998. Freightliner resurrected the name to put on the Ford HN80 series after purchasing Ford's heavy duty truck division - they're Ford trucks built by DaimlerChrysler!
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: GBL communications..... Reply with quote

I remember when GBL installed RCA vhf low-band radios in it's service vehicles. I forget if they were on 44.560 or 44.580, but remember listening to them from home in Howard Beach in the 70's. Some dispatchers bought pocket scanners to hear the base, while outside the vehicle.

Later, they switched to a UHF community repeater on Electchester (Flushing)
on 478 mhz, sharing it with Command, Triborough and Jamaica. The dispatchers and starters were issued Maxon walkie-talkies, the cheapest available at the time).

As you may all know, they are (or were) on the NYC DOT 900mhz trunk system on the Empire State Building. The dispatchers and starters were issued Motorola GTX-900 portable radios.

Perhaps an insider can tell me...
Have the former PBL buses been switched to the NYC 800 mhz system yet or...are they staying on 900?

Best Regards,
Dennis V.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: 'GBL Radios' Reply with quote

Dennis,

Of course, anything after the early sixties at Green Line (communications wise) I can't account for but I can tell you what I remember about the decade prior to that;

You have to bear with me because I'm not that radio savvy although I did have a 'CB' in my cars years ago.

Their two way radio system was either by Motorola or RCA (I don't really remember which) and it was independent in the sense that they installed an antenna tower of at least 80 to 100 feet in height at what is now JFK Depot (that was the highest they were permitted by the F.A.A. being that they were in such close proximity to the airport, and they were also required to have a pair of blinking red lights at the top).

The company in Garden City that installed and serviced the equipment also did so for the Nassau County Police Department.

I believe it was in the 800 mhz range, and the antennas they used were very long and of the 'whip' type with large springs at the bottom.

The last inspectors cars that I remember with radios were a small fleet of green 1958 Chevrolet coupes.

Mr. Cooper, on the other hand, had graduated to a New York Telephone Company mobile phone (if you remember, they were the units that had a chromium tube of about twelve inches in height with a band antenna attached above them, and were affixed to the rear fender) BTW; they were really bad news and didn't last very long!

Another BTW; in those days, buses had no form of communication!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
Mr. Linsky wrote:

No, that Sterling disappeared in 1955, two years after being purchased by White. The current Sterling is the vocational truck subsidiary of Freightliner and has only been around since 1998. Freightliner resurrected the name to put on the Ford HN80 series after purchasing Ford's heavy duty truck division - they're Ford trucks built by DaimlerChrysler!

Michael,

What's it coming to? now the latest in the financial pages is that GM is looking to sell off both the Chevrolet and GMC heavy truck divisions to concentrate only on pick-ups and S.U.V.'s. (so it's goodbye to the 'General', the 'Brigadier', the 'Bruin', the 'Bison' and the 'Kodiac' - all oldies, but goldies!).

I remember when 'White' was gobbling up everything in sight, and now they're pretty much history (they did make that great '3000' that went on for forty years!).

Just to take you on a little stroll down memory lane, here's a few more names that have gone by the wayside in alphabetical order; Atterbury, Bethlehem, Brockway, Baker, Corbitt (made some good buses!), Diamond T, Divco (my favorite), Douglas, Dover, Fageol (Twin Coach), Federal, Fulton, Garford, Graham Brothers, Hawkeye, Hug, Keystone, Kleiber, Lansden Electric (we could sure use them today!), Larrabee, Maccar, Marmon-Herrington, Moline, Murty Bros., Old Hickory, Oldsmobile (trucks), Oneida, Paige, Patriot, Pierce-Arrow (made a great car too), Relay, Reo, Republic, Schacht, Selden, Service, Sterling (the original), Stewart, Studebaker, Traffic Truck, Velie, Vim, Walter, Ward La France, Watson and Wilson just to mention a few!

I would expect that in the next few years virtually every name in U.S. made trucks that we are still familiar with will fold into off-shore brands!

Sad commentary!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: