BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'AN UNUSUAL TD 4505'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Western United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: 'AN UNUSUAL TD 4505' Reply with quote

Here's what appears to be a 'one of a kind' GM/Yellow Old look bus operating as fleet number 280 for Peerless Stages, Inc. of Hayward, California.

The coach could be a 1941 or 1942 Yellow Model TD 4505 and records show that it was not purchased as new by the company.

Because of the fog lights under the headlamps which are an almost exclusive trademark of Greyhound, I would have to speculate that # 280 might be an ex Pacific Greyhound Lines out of San Francisco (they used one door transit types for commuter service to Marin County in the forties).

Forgetting the updated post 1948 'paired window' bumper, what makes this bus stand out as unusual are the completely separate destination sign glasses over the windshield - early forties Old Looks did have divided glasses but with only a piece of vertical molding separating them.

I have combed both my computer picture album and all relevant literature and have found no other example.

A little history of Peerless;

Peerless Stages was a pioneer Northern California bus system. At one time the company had sole transportation rights between the Bay Area and Reno, Nevada. But Peerless abandoned the long distance routes to concentrate on serving points between the Bay Area and Santa Cruz, CA.

A remnant of the company still exists and is somehow tied to the Greyhound Corporation.

Photo and some information courtesy of Pacific Bus Museum and the Redden Archive.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr "L" -

Perhaps still another coach, first owned by Pacific GL for the large, Mare Island (Vallejo) operations?

.................Vern.................
Cyberider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this bus bumped it's "forehead" and this is some kind of home-made repair? It kind of looks like it's "scabbed on!"
frankie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 'AN UNUSUAL TD 4505' Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Here's what appears to be a 'one of a kind' GM/Yellow Old look bus operating as fleet number 280 for Peerless Stages, Inc. of Hayward, California.

The coach could be a 1941 or 1942 Yellow Model TD 4505 and records show that it was not purchased as new by the company.

Forgetting the updated post 1948 'paired window' bumper, what makes this bus stand out as unusual are the completely separate destination sign glasses over the windshield - early forties Old Looks did have divided glasses but with only a piece of vertical molding separating them.

I have combed both my computer picture album and all relevant literature and have found no other example.

Photo and some information courtesy of Pacific Bus Museum and the Redden Archive.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Mr L: Looks like I found another example of a separate destination sign for you (by accident!). I was looking through some old copies of Motor Coach Today and came across this photo of a much shorter TD or TG 3200 series and 3,000 miles away from the location of the photo you provided. This is Paterson (NJ) Suburban #85 passing through Suffern, NY just across the NJ border. Perhaps you or someone else can identify the bus. Photo courtesy of MCS (MCT Oct-Dec 95 issue - page 7).

Frankie

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie,

Great find and, yes, I can identify it although it's a fooler!

Fleet # 85 is a 1945 32 passenger GM Coach Model TG-3206 and one of five likenesses numbered between 83 and 87 delivered to and operating for the Patterson Suburban Bus Corporation of Patterson, New Jersey.

# 85 has a heading of Suffern, New York which is just on the New Jersey border and the Railroad station of which was then and still is controlled by the New Jersey system.

Remarkably, # 85 does not have the full time mechanical ventilation system required to operate in New York.

I would have to say that the oddly separated destination sign may have been a GM experiment because so few early old looks had such a configuration.

BTW; I love the 1946 seven passenger Model '75' Fleetwood Cadillac following # 85.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
frankie,.

BTW; I love the 1946 seven passenger Model '75' Fleetwood Cadillac following # 85.
Mr. 'L'

When I was very young--those Fleetwood limo's were a regular summertime fixture on the run from my old neighborhood in Brooklyn, "to The Mountains", loaded to the gills with families and their belongings going to their rented bungalows's..... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Western United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: