BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I've never seen an MCI Classic Artic
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little more interesting tech information on GM's RTS Artics which were to be referred to as 'Mega' buses.

They probably or undoubtedly would have been another smash hit out of Truck and Coach had the 'empty suits' up in the towers of Detroit not decided to bury the division!

Saddest thing to have ever happened to U.S. bus transportation!

Photo credit; eBay

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
...They probably or undoubtedly would have been another smash hit out of Truck and Coach had the 'empty suits' up in the towers of Detroit not decided to bury the division!...

Mr "L" -

A time line of related events might be useful. Better, if such a thing could happen, direct interview and testimony of those with hands in all of it...

With both GMC and National City Lines, some conjecture on my part about what happened. GMC particularly noted by various strong personalities
with hands on controls. NCL a successful business model, but remained a family enterprise, with some gentlemen with very clear thoughts about
how to run it.

With the dramatic and sweeping entry of public money into the transit arena, though, it brought about with it a lot of new faces with all sorts of
"fresh sheets of paper" nonsense. Listening to these new people compelled, with little choice to ignore even the worst of ideas.

My own belief is the GMC and NCL people had little patience with any of it. With GMC, it very much knew the basic tenets of mass production,
so as to deliver predictable, economical and reliable product. The trouble with the endless, "off the walls" ideas of the new players? The equipment
process transformed into more of what is termed "job shop" work. That could not (and cannot) be reconciled with demands of mass products.

NCL evidently threw in the towel, as it did not embrace what they knew was coming. As early as 1951, its corporate stance was quite gloomy with
respect to private (corporate) operation of transit. They had the game results in hand. It was not being "made whole" against ravages of inflation
on valuations of assets. It also had few, if any at all, receptive regulatory agencies that would approve "made whole" rate making and pricing...

As far as the "fresh new thinking" ideas that became products? Rather a sorry record of a great deal of taxpayer paid, dubious and found unreliable
products. We can all name names and examples here, so that I don't offend aerospace contractors, among others. And, heaven forbid I should doubt
one's Fourteenth Amendment right to board a bus or street car!...

.....................Vern.................
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

Here's one I'll bet you've never seen either! (nor have I!).

Custom built, and only one of two that ever existed, is this late 50's version of a Crown Artic. shown below.

This bus is only now being scrapped in Fresno, and the other which was composed of a single level pair was last seen in Utah and may still be operational.

Crown Coach, a California builder of mostly school buses and fire equipment, had its beginnings as a carriage maker before the turn of the twentieth century (see below), and was merged into the Carpenter Body Works of Mitchell, Indiana in the late 1990's.

Credits; Don Lewis and Eric Gregory of NorCal Bus Fans.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am uncertain as to whether the image below can be classified as an Artic (if it is, it's undoubtedly among the first).

The 'tractor' (#26), a 1930 Buick Model 26 Business Coupe, is towing something like a 15 passenger Aero Coach (a company that became famous for their Recreational Vehicles years ago).

The rig belonged to Colonial Coach Lines which was eventually merged into Canada Coach Lines.

Apparently, Flxible wasn't the only bus manufacturer interested in Buick power, and you can tell by the length of this Buick's cowling that its power came from a big 'Fireball' Straight Eight - the fastest thing on any wheels in those days!

Credits; within frame.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a really good shot of the 'Aero/Buick' above.

In this image there are actual 'models' sitting in the trailer.

Anybody remember either an Abbott and Costello or Three Stooges movie in which the hitch on a like vehicle breaks as they're heading down a steep hill and suddenly the trailer is overtaking the car and the boys are waving frantically to the driver for help as they sail by?

When I look at this picture, that's all I can think of.

Credit; within frame.

Mr. 'L'

RTS_04

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Here's a little more information and a better photo.
s.

Photo credit; GM Photographic.

C'mon. Really? I know it's a GM photo, but that's obviously the image from my collection. You wouldn't have ever seen it if I hadn't done the RTS book, and you wouldn't have this scan if I didn't upload it to my Flickr page.

This is exactly why I keep the resolution on my Flickr dialed down so low...
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan,

As you may undoubtedly know, I make every effort to give credit for any photos that accompany my essays in my posts.

In the case of the prototype GM RTS articulated magazine ad, I did credit GM when it should actually have been eBay as can be seen in the following URL;

http://cgi.ebay.com/1981-GMC-RTS-Articulated-Transit-Bus-Ad_W0QQitemZ290348957770QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439a25804a

At no time did I have any knowledge of your efforts in this regard, but you can be certain that had I obtained it from something that you posted, I would have been happy to acknowledge that fact.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

Sorry. I tried changing my email address on BusTalk; now I can't log in to see if you replied to my message.

My issue wasn't with the RTS Mega advertisement photo (yes, that was from ebay). My issue was with this image, which you posted on July 24, 2009 and seem to have uploaded to your Photobucket:

For your reference, the post is on this page:

http://forum.bustalk.info/viewtopic.php?t=...5d7d6bc0daa94ff

Where, then, did you get THAT particular image, if not from my Flickr page or my book? I sincerely doubt there are duplicates of THAT image with THAT airbrushed paint floating around -- but if so, I'd LOVE to know I'm wrong.

Dennis, you could not have possibly obtained this image from either eBay or General Motors Photographic. I own that original image -- airbrushed paint and all -- and obtained that from the basement of a former GM employee. I'll be glad to take a photo of my face with today's paper in front of the image if you so desire...

I'm guessing you either scanned my book -- which had the image -- or stole it from my Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/etmccaus/2185011362/

Either way, that particular image -- with the airbrushing -- should at least be attributed to me. I understand that it's an original GM photo, but were it not for me doing the legwork to write the RTS book, you wouldn't have that image with the paint in the factory. If it weren't for me re-photographing it and posting in Flickr, you wouldn't have your image.

I don't mind sharing historic images with bus fans -- it's why I posted it on Flickr, after all. I just think proper credit is deserved. Had there been a link to the page you found that photo and/or my name, and I'd never have said a thing. I may not have photographed that shot, but I did find it, I did unearth it, I did scan it, and I did post it to the Internet.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from. I have a trove of other GM marketing images scanned, but it's incidents like this (this isn't the first time) that prevent me from sharing more. It's not worth my time if folks aren't going to give credit to those doing the research work.

Sincerely,

-Evan

Mr. L's final reply;

Evan,

If I did use your airbrushed Flickr photo without giving you credit, I apologize.

However, bear in mind that I may have gotten it elsewhere from someone who copied it from you!

Now for the riot act; speaking as an attorney (albeit a retired one), once a photo or anything else, for that matter, is posted on the Internet it automatically becomes 'public domain' meaning that it can be copied by anyone (this applies even to 'copyrighted' material).

However, the use of copyrighted material would be limited to non-commercial applications in which the copier could not profit.

I handily fit into that category because my works are for educational purposes only.

If you don't want your images used by others, there is a way of locking them down although I'm not familiar with the procedure.

Regards again.

Mr. 'L'
Steve Carras

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Ken,

Here's one I'll bet you've never seen either! (nor have I!).

Custom built, and only one of two that ever existed, is this late 50's version of a Crown Artic. shown below.

This bus is only now being scrapped in Fresno, and the other which was composed of a single level pair was last seen in Utah and may still be operational.

Crown Coach, a California builder of mostly school buses and fire equipment, had its beginnings as a carriage maker before the turn of the twentieth century (see below), and was merged into the Carpenter Body Works of Mitchell, Indiana in the late 1990's.

Credits; Don Lewis and Eric Gregory of NorCal Bus Fans.

I've seen a picture of that bus in North California Bus Fans Newsgroup. [And yes, there ARE some parts, contrary to popular belief, of the yeoman usenet still alive and active.] I wonder what kind of trnasmission-stick, obviously-it had, like quanitity of gears. MORE than five [the minimum for Crowns.]
Steve Carras

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
H. H.,

To my knowledge, GM never dabbled in artics before the combo Classic/New Look pictured above (however, it is probable that they toyed with the idea and might even have done something in clay early on).

Additionally, the old 35 foot law in so many states would have discouraged any serious attempt.

Henry J. Kaiser did experiment with Trailways and came up with the prototype seen below around 1946 but it never really got off the ground.

This version was interesting because the underfloor 'pancake' engine was located in the forward section and the rear wheels of the rear section were turnable.

Wonder, as with the Crown, how many gears that must have had? Regular ones only four [not counting five speed Crowns.] [This was still in that "no-two speed rear" era, I guess]. Of course, I wonder how SAFE it would have been to turn in those...Southern California has LOTS of those, both Los Angeles AND Orange Counties, those artics, and in fact in 1978 San Diego and Hollywood legendarily experimented with the MAN/AMG artics, as did San Francisco at the time, from where Hollywood actually got those late 70s ones..the second series...I'm going to Vegas which has both [Nabi?] artics and [Alexander[-]Dennis] non-artic double deckers--and I ride L.A.'s artics quite a lot...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: