BusTalk.Net Surface Transportation Discussion Forum
BusTalk.Net Surface Transit Discussion Forum
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

Please see our
Announcements and Help Forums for News and Assistance

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email? Did you forget your password?
March 13, 2007, 01:44:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
•  • Limited Website Resources Available •  •
We have temporarily exceeded server disk space while a full backup downloads overnight to my desktop. During this time, many resources will be limited.
34,553 Posts in 3,924 Topics by 321 Members
Latest Member: Garagedweller2
* Home Help Login Register
+  BusTalk.Net Discussion Forum
|-+  New York Transit Forums
| |-+  New York Transit Museum
| | |-+  BusFest 2006: 13th Annual NYTM Bus Festival
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BusFest 2006: 13th Annual NYTM Bus Festival  (Read 4624 times)
NYTM PRESS
RTS Reman

« on: April 12, 2006, 10:58:47 PM »

Dear Bustalk.net forum members:

The New York Transit Museum has been given a forum to post the latest programs, exhibit and lecture information for your review.  We will work toward providing timely information about Museum programming as the information becomes available. 

Thank you in advance for your support.

FALL PREVIEW - SAVE THE DATE!     
Sunday, September 17, 2006  10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Admission: Free

EVENT:  13th Annual New York Transit Museum Bus Festival at the Atlantic Antic street festival

Location:  Boerum Place between State Street and Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn

The New York Transit Museum's 13th Annual Bus Festival joins the ATLANTIC ANTIC, Brooklyn's
largest and most famous street fair, for what promises to be fantastic Sunday for the whole
family. See you at the fair!

Additional details about the festival will be posted closer to the event date.

Yours truly,

NYTM PRESS
Driver@BTN
Administrator
Nova RTS

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 11:49:10 PM »

Welcome aboard, NYTM PRESS!

These events will be listed on the BTN Forum Calendar as well. You might also find it useful to add events as warranted by clicking the "Calendar" icon and following the prompts thereafter.

The NYTM "BusFest" is always a major hit here and will likely produce a great amount of interest. Thanks for the advance notice.

New York's Laziest!
TransitGuy
Orion VII HEV

R.I.P.- Rust In Peace

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 07:47:50 AM »

Hello NYTM Press, in order to get to Boerm place (the Bus Festival), is it accessible with the A train?

MTA Bus Company
WayneJay
TMC RTS

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 09:59:28 AM »

Hello NYTM Press, in order to get to Boerm place (the Bus Festival), is it accessible with the A train?

Yes, you need the get off at Jay Street-Borough Hall.  Walk along Fulton Mall (2 blocks) to Boerum Place, hang a left and you should see the action.

I'm surpised that it's on a Sunday this year which means that's two years in a row that it lands on my B-Day.
TransitGuy
Orion VII HEV

R.I.P.- Rust In Peace

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 05:54:56 PM »

Is there an admission for Bus Fest?

MTA Bus Company
RJM
Nova RTS

"Gongzhufen... dao le."

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 06:31:52 PM »

Is there an admission for Bus Fest?

No. It's free to all.

G1Ravage
E
TMC RTS

This text is very personal

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 03:14:20 AM »

Wow! I don't think we've EVER had such advance notice for a BusFest!

Thanks!
Driver@BTN
Administrator
Nova RTS

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 01:46:49 PM »

I've never heard Bus Fest billed under something called the "Atlantic Antic" as you've mentioned above. What exactly is the Atlantic Antic if it isn't solely a display of buses? Are there other TM events associated with Bus Fest that occur under this banner or is it simply a separate street fair occurring on the same date as Bus Fest?

New York's Laziest!
Pipe
E
Orion VII HEV

"Step to the rear" Retired NYCTA

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 09:33:37 PM »

I never been to the Bus Festival. I hope to get to the city this year I mark my calendar. I will enjoy seeing my old Buses that I drove.  From the 1957 GM TDH-5106 7000's to the 1985 GMC RTS T8W-204 3900's."Pipe"

"Step behind the WHITE LINE"
Deaks
RTS Reman

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 12:49:57 PM »

Dear Bustalk.net forum members:

The New York Transit Museum has been given a forum to post the latest programs, exhibit and lecture information for your review....

Great idea. Well done to both BK and yourself.
TTCBusBabe
E
Nova RTS

Toronto Transit Commission, (Toronto,Ontario)

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 04:20:02 PM »

I'm going to try to be there! Smiley
RIPTA42
Orion V

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 06:20:52 PM »

I've never heard Bus Fest billed under something called the "Atlantic Antic" as you've mentioned above. What exactly is the Atlantic Antic if it isn't solely a display of buses? Are there other TM events associated with Bus Fest that occur under this banner or is it simply a separate street fair occurring on the same date as Bus Fest?

Atlantic Antic is a huge, multiethinc street fair that's been held at the eastern end of Atlantic Avenue every year since 1974.  It usually has nothing to do with buses.  It looks like the two happen to be occurring on the same day this year.
RJM
Nova RTS

"Gongzhufen... dao le."

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 07:39:49 PM »

Atlantic Antic is a huge, multiethinc street fair that's been held at the eastern end of Atlantic Avenue every year since 1974.

Western end... the eastern end's in Jamaica. ;-)

TTCBusBabe
E
Nova RTS

Toronto Transit Commission, (Toronto,Ontario)

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 04:39:00 PM »

I know it's really early but....can we maybe meet up somewhere during this festival if we are going?
Grand Concourse
Orion V

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 09:26:54 AM »

I'm going to try to be there! Smiley
Same here. Just tell me when this Festival starts and ends. Also will it be near the TM and if so by how many blocks?

I prefer old RTS over hybrids.
Tranny726
RTS Reman

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 09:24:07 PM »

I understand that the Vintage 1956 Mack Transit Bus #6259 had to be towed to last years 2005 NY Transit Bus Roadeo due to a defective transmission.
Bob Sandewicz
Orion VII HEV

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 12:33:14 PM »

I attended last year's TM Bus Fest.
It was very enjoyable, but one caveat I would give to those who are planning to drive to this year's event: parking probably will be tough to get, so consider using mass transit.
The Atlantic Antic likely will cause traffic disruption in the Brooklyn Heights/Downtown Brooklyn areas, and will eliminate the metered parking spots along Atlantic Avenue.
Parking often is in short supply in those areas anyway, even more so on the day of a planned festival.
Luckily, Downtown Brooklyn is blessed with very ample mass transit options.
Those of you are not from the NYC area are welcome to shoot me a PM if you need directions to the area.

Buses move the Big Apple
TransitGuy
Orion VII HEV

R.I.P.- Rust In Peace

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2006, 01:50:40 PM »

Exactly how much buses will be at bus fest, will the pbl museum fleet make an appearance? (NYBS 1502, GB 10001, TCC 621 etc.)?

MTA Bus Company
Bob Sandewicz
Orion VII HEV

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 06:05:45 PM »

Last year, NYBS 1502 was at the Bus Fest. What a nice looking Fishbowl!

Buses move the Big Apple
TransitGuy
Orion VII HEV

R.I.P.- Rust In Peace

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 08:08:18 AM »

Its a really good thing that saved one fishbowl, I can't wait to go, I hope they include the PBL museum fleet buses. Did JBL 3001 ever appear at a Bus Fest? Also, does anyone know if there are any other buses they will save (Spring Creek, Laguardia etc.)?

MTA Bus Company
RailBus63
Orion VII HEV

Transit historian and photographer

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2006, 09:24:36 AM »

Where is 1502 now?  Wasn't there some controversy about the front sign being pulled from this bus and it getting mixed in with the other NYBS New Looks being sold?

JD
TransitGuy
Orion VII HEV

R.I.P.- Rust In Peace

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2006, 10:39:00 AM »

Where is 1502 now?  Wasn't there some controversy about the front sign being pulled from this bus and it getting mixed in with the other NYBS New Looks being sold?

JD

1502 (I think) is at Eastchester depot. As for the sign, I have no clue, but I hope they put it back.

MTA Bus Company
RailBus63
Orion VII HEV

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 09:41:22 AM »

For those of us who missed seeing the restored PBL buses at the roadeo, I hope NYCT and MTA Bus can work together so those coaches can make an appearance at the festival.

Jim
TransitGuy
Orion VII HEV

R.I.P.- Rust In Peace

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 09:45:04 AM »

For those of us who missed seeing the restored PBL buses at the roadeo, I hope NYCT and MTA Bus can work together so those coaches can make an appearance at the festival.

Jim

I agree, I hope we can see them again on bus fest. I missed the roadeo being that I was on vacation so if its in bus fest, it would be the perfect photo day.

MTA Bus Company
Driver@BTN
Administrator
Nova RTS

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 04:43:06 PM »

I think you're going to see everything we have and then some. It's early, but our museum bus (3100) was already in the shop today being prepped for something. I assume the festival. So they're apparently gearing up already. Should be fun.

New York's Laziest!
Bob Sandewicz
Orion VII HEV

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2006, 09:50:36 PM »

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this year's BusFest, but I would urge those who can go to do so, and I hope that everyone who attends has a terrific time.
I went last year and I really enjoyed myself.

Buses move the Big Apple
TransitGuy
Orion VII HEV

R.I.P.- Rust In Peace

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2006, 09:52:43 PM »

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this year's BusFest, but I would urge those who can go to do so, and I hope that everyone who attends has a terrific time.
I went last year and I really enjoyed myself.

I am sorry to hear that, if I can go which I probably can (then again theres always last minute stuff), I will take a lot of pictures. I hope the NYCTA and MTA Bus museum fleet will be there. I will have to take a lot of pics then.

MTA Bus Company
Bob Sandewicz
Orion VII HEV

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2006, 09:38:51 PM »

Thanks TG.
I don't know anything about the "Atlantic Antic", but it sounds like a pretty festive street fair; should be a blast!
Last year's event was next to Brooklyn Boro Hall, and it was set up pretty nicely. There was a farmer's market there with fruits and veggies for sale, plus there was free coffee and ice water. There was a table from the TM with promotional items, and another table with Vintage Bus Guides and NYCT express bus timetables (mostly from SI Division).
I don't know anything about the "Atlantic Antic", but it sounds like a pretty festive street fair; should be a blast!
You and a lot of the folks at BTN take some great pics, and I look forward to seeing them.

Buses move the Big Apple
TransitGuy
Orion VII HEV

R.I.P.- Rust In Peace

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2006, 10:01:34 PM »

Thanks TG.
Last year's event was next to Brooklyn Boro Hall, and it was set up pretty nicely. There was a farmer's market there with fruits and veggies for sale, plus there was free coffee and ice water. There was a table from the TM with promotional items, and another table with Vintage Bus Guides and NYCT express bus timetables (mostly from SI Division).
You and a lot of the folks at BTN take some great pics, and I look forward to seeing them.

Nice I'll be like Homer Simpson in the candy convention. I'll try to take a lot of pics (might fill up my camera). Thank god it will be on the weekend being that Ill have school soon.

MTA Bus Company
1C/Ballston
Orion V

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 09:01:21 AM »

It is really enticing to want to go. My wife happened to see something on the Food Network talking about the San Gennaro festival in Little Italy, which also runs through that same weekend. We are contemplating going up there and either trying to do both in one day or get an inexpensive hotel room near Newark Airport and split it up over two days, or not going at all. Those are the choices and as the time gets closer we'll figure all of that out. My son would jump out of his skin seeing all of those buses.
Transit_Teen
RTS Reman

Orion V CNG's fan

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2006, 05:57:07 PM »

There's a different bettween a Bus  Roadeo and a Bus Festival?
Green_713
Orion VII HEV

GoW BSG75

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2006, 06:16:06 PM »

A Bus Roadeo is a competition between B/O's of various depots (there's a MTA Bus Roadeo and a NYCT DoB Roadeo) that has them drive through obstacle courses and traffic cones simulating real world traffic and operation.  Awards are given.

A Bus Festival is just museum buses on public display from various depots and decades for the public to visit, board, snap pics of and enjoy.  No competition, no awards.  But plenty of free goodies.

The Trial of Baltar Begins...
Bushwick22
Orion V

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2006, 06:38:49 PM »

Does changing the destination sign require the bus to have its engine running?  I wonder why they never turn the signs on during these events.  It'd be nice to see some odd/defunct/unused sign readings.
RailBus63
Orion VII HEV

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2006, 10:36:13 PM »

If I recall correctly, the electric-powered destination signs would work in GMC New Looks even when shut down, but the Flxible electric signs did not - the bus had to be turned on.

Jim
Green_713
Orion VII HEV

GoW BSG75

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2006, 10:48:56 PM »

IIRC, the engine doesn't need to be running to power the signs, I think they can work via battery power.  Numerous occasions I've been on a bus at the first stop while the B/O would let people on while he/she have a smoke or so and the engine would be off, but the flipdots would continue to display the route.

And they probably keep the signs off to conserve battery power at the events.  Having the batteries on these museum buses on for seven hours or more might just drain the batteries requiring a jump (if possible, is it?) or having to tow them back.  Not that some of the buses are already towed there in the first place.

WayneJay
TMC RTS

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2006, 10:57:02 PM »

I thought the big master switch had sort of an "aux" position that provided power for the sign curtain (rear door???) and also operation of the front door was possible too.
Green_713
Orion VII HEV

GoW BSG75

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2006, 11:53:36 PM »

I thought the big master switch had sort of an "aux" position that provided power for the sign curtain (rear door???) and also operation of the front door was possible too.

Actually, the front door is operated via the air suspension tank which holds pressure even when the bus is off (though, has to be on to charge it).  So, even if the bus is off and the B/O (hasn't dumped the tank), you can still open and close the front door and operate the windshield wipers (they run via the suspension tanks also).  The rear door operates via the air suspension tank also, but the relay has to be unlocked via electric power to work (and the brake pedal, 40psi and so forth), bus on or off.  I do believe that the driver's seat ("air ride" equipped) retrieves its air via the suspension tank also.

Driver@BTN
Administrator
Nova RTS

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2006, 01:29:33 PM »

So, even if the bus is off and the B/O (hasn't dumped the tank), you can still open and close the front door and operate the windshield wipers (they run via the suspension tanks also).  The rear door operates via the air suspension tank also, but the relay has to be unlocked via electric power to work (and the brake pedal, 40psi and so forth), bus on or off.

Not entirely correct (with NYCT models, anyway). The front doors cannot be opened unless the master run switch is engaged. If the master run switch is in the "off" position, the front doors cannot be opened unless dumped, then only manually. Remember, a solenoid requires electrical power, even though the door motor is air-powered. If the bus is off, the rear doors cannot be opened. If the bus is running, and there is adequate air pressure (which is required to open both the front and rear doors), the door handle must be in any rear-door unlocked position as well as the interlock engaged.

New York's Laziest!
TransitGuy
Orion VII HEV

R.I.P.- Rust In Peace

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2006, 01:30:46 PM »

In regards to the bus fest it self, how can they fit so much buses in that area? Will all of the museum fleet be in there?

MTA Bus Company
Green_713
Orion VII HEV

GoW BSG75

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2006, 10:18:03 PM »

So the "Master Run" swtich enables battery/electrical power to all components on the bus that may need it?  And does the master run swtich need to be on for the destination sign to work?

Bob Sandewicz
Orion VII HEV

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2006, 12:51:41 PM »

In regards to the bus fest it self, how can they fit so much buses in that area? Will all of the museum fleet be in there?
The folks assigned to display the historical fleet seem to be a resourceful group of people. I had attending a BusFest about 6-7 years ago when I had visited the TM. They had closed Schermerhorn St. between Boerum Pl. & Court St., and had buses parked alongside both curbs. You definitely can fit a lot of non-artic buses in one block. Similarly, at last year's event in Columbus Park (behind Brooklyn Borough Hall), there were a lot of historical buses parked there (plus an old TBTA "tunnel wrecker"). By comparison, at the NYCT Roadeos for '05 and '06, not all the historical buses were on display at once.

Buses move the Big Apple
TransitGuy
Orion VII HEV

R.I.P.- Rust In Peace

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2006, 12:53:10 PM »

Can they actually fit in the new MTA Bus museum fleet in there also. Thanks Bob.

MTA Bus Company
Bob Sandewicz
Orion VII HEV

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2006, 01:21:06 PM »

You're right, I forgot about the MTAB museum fleet.
That situation might present a bit of a challenge. I've seen some photos shot at past Bus Fests (in the BTN galleries and at nycsubway.org) that showed some non-NYCTA historical buses on display.
I would imagine that the old saying "if there's a will, there's a way" could apply to a Bus Fest.

Buses move the Big Apple
TransitGuy
Orion VII HEV

R.I.P.- Rust In Peace

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2006, 01:44:14 PM »

You're right, I forgot about the MTAB museum fleet.
That situation might present a bit of a challenge. I've seen some photos shot at past Bus Fests (in the BTN galleries and at nycsubway.org) that showed some non-NYCTA historical buses on display.
I would imagine that the old saying "if there's a will, there's a way" could apply to a Bus Fest.

I agree.

MTA Bus Company
RailBus63
Orion VII HEV

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2006, 08:55:31 AM »

I just learned that I will not be able to attend this year's Bus Festival due to an unbreakable scheduling conflict.  I'm a little frustrated because I thought I'd finally be able to make it this year, and the Sunday scheduling actually looked like it was going to work in my favor.  Oh well.

The same thing kept happening with Metro-North's Harmon Shops open house - for about five years in a row, I made plans to attend and kept having family events and such come up instead.  My son and I finally made it last year and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.  I'm sure the Bus Festival will be worth the wait when I'm finally able to get there.

I hope everyone who can attend has a very enjoyable time - I'm looking forward to seeing lots of pics in the galleries!

Jim
WayneJay
TMC RTS

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2006, 09:41:52 AM »

I'd like to attend too, but that day is also my B-day and I think my wife will want to do something.  Last year when it was on Saturday I actually did attend which was funny.  It was my 40th birthday and my wife had planned a party for me the day after.  So she decided to come to NYC with me for BusFest to be sure that I made it back home in-time for the suprise party the next day:-). 
LIBhound
RTS Reman

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2006, 10:26:04 PM »

Could someone give me a definitive answer as to whether LIB will have a bus represented at the upcoming BusFest? If so, I am going to try to be the driver by signing for RDO that day. Thanks-LIBHound.
Pipe
E
Orion VII HEV

"Step to the rear" Retired NYCTA

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2006, 12:04:39 AM »

Could someone give me a definitive answer as to whether LIB will have a bus represented at the upcoming BusFest? If so, I am going to try to be the driver by signing for RDO that day. Thanks-LIBHound.
Talk to your crew Dispatcher he might know it LIB is going to send a Bus to the Bus Festival. "Pipe"

"Step behind the WHITE LINE"
DHF60
E
Orion V

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2006, 12:43:59 PM »

I plan on attending and expect to get there around 1 pm. How many other members of this board plan on attending? Is there one specific place that we can all meet? It would be great to finally meet everyone in person. Let's try and set something up. Any suggestions?
TransitGuy
Orion VII HEV

R.I.P.- Rust In Peace

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2006, 04:01:48 PM »

I plan on attending and expect to get there around 1 pm. How many other members of this board plan on attending? Is there one specific place that we can all meet? It would be great to finally meet everyone in person. Let's try and set something up. Any suggestions?

Yea I am going, I have to see what time exactly though. It would be cool to have a meet up thing but I gotta see how my day will be.

MTA Bus Company
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

BTN Home | Surface Transit Media Gallery | File Database | NYCTA Bus Quiz | Privacy Policy